Multiple Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Woes

Just got in a 1995 SSR-G 3.0 Diesel, from Japan this month, and have run into some problems that have totally disheartened me , could anyone help me?:

1. The steering is very stiff when at a standstill or low speeds, its ok once the vehicle is running. i opened the cap with the engine running and the fluid literally squirted all over the place. what's wrong?

2.the mileage shown is 43000km but the timing belt indicator is on. have they messed with the mileage of can there be some kind of error.

3.is the changing of the timing belt a very tricky endeavour or can a moderately skilled mechanic do the job?
    I have checked with the dealer here and he wants to charge me a bundle for the job.

4. When i went to the dealer to check out the replacement of the timing belt, he advised me to change the tensioner as well as the bearing associated with the timing belt , with out even inspecting the vehicle. should i take his advice, or is he just a commission hungry ingrate.

SOMEBODY HELP, PLEASE.

Originally posted by mike23
    Just got in a 1995 SSR-G 3.0 Diesel, from Japan this month, and have run into some problems that have totally disheartened me , could anyone help me?:

1. The steering is very stiff when at a standstill or low speeds, its ok once the vehicle is running. i opened the cap with the engine running and the fluid literally squirted all over the place. what's wrong?

2.the mileage shown is 43000km but the timing belt indicator is on. have they messed with the mileage of can there be some kind of error.

3.is the changing of the timing belt a very tricky endeavour or can a moderately skilled mechanic do the job?
    I have checked with the dealer here and he wants to charge me a bundle for the job.

4. When i went to the dealer to check out the replacement of the timing belt, he advised me to change the tensioner as well as the bearing associated with the timing belt , with out even inspecting the vehicle. should i take his advice, or is he just a commission hungry ingrate.

SOMEBODY HELP, PLEASE.
    1 Not sure about the power steering. For a few dollars, change ALL of the engine fluids - power steering, brakes, ATF, engine coolant and diffs. You will know where you stand then.
    2. An 11 year old car is highly likely to have done more than 43,000. Belt light comes on at 100,000k intervals. Put it off - small grommet in front of speedo - push a tooth pick to reset the light.
    3. Do the timing belt yourself - the 3.0 is easier than the 2.4. I changed my 2.4 belt a few weeks back - I am moderate mechanic.
    4. Change the tensioner - they only cost about £35. It would be a pain for that to fail after you have everything stripped and rebuilt
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
      1 Not sure about the power steering. For a few dollars, change ALL of the engine fluids - power steering, brakes, ATF, engine coolant and diffs. You will know where you stand then.
      2. An 11 year old car is highly likely to have done more than 43,000. Belt light comes on at 100,000k intervals. Put it off - small grommet in front of speedo - push a tooth pick to reset the light.
      3. Do the timing belt yourself - the 3.0 is easier than the 2.4. I changed my 2.4 belt a few weeks back - I am moderate mechanic.
      4. Change the tensioner - they only cost about £35. It would be a pain for that to fail after you have everything stripped and rebuilt

Thanks for the reply boyo, much appreciated, but i have already changed the fluids.
      So i guess i should also change the bearing while i am at it.

Comment

Working...
      X