Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problem - none whatsoever

Hi All,

Hope someone can be of help. I have tried searching the forum but can't seem to find anything similar to the problem I am having.

Basically, I reversed out the garage this morning and heard a hissing type noise. I thought it may be the brakes so I stopped, checked it all out and it seemed fine. The truck heated up a bit and the noise stopped.

Off I drove down the road, and as I hit the brakes to stop at the traffic lights, there was absolutely no response. Managed to get her back home with no accident.

On investigation, the pedal is really stiff (no release at all) and the handbrake light is on (even when the handbrake is off). I have just replaced the brake shoes but she is still in the same state!!

Really need some help if anyone has experienced this problem before.

Cheers
    Stuart

Very limited use, but the brake light also illuminates when your brake fluid's low. You could always check it, seeing as it will take ten seconds, but I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that and someone more technical will come along and tell you all about it shortly.

My guess would be that something popped and all the fluid came out, but I've probably been watching too many films.

If you're really screwed, TonyN is in Basingstoke and can sort it for you:

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Could it be a problem with the brake servo, the hissing noise being vacuum leak ?
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
        Could it be a problem with the brake servo, the hissing noise being vacuum leak ?
        same thought here...generally a hissing noise leads you to a vacuum leak....just in case best check all lines, brake fluid.

example, "rubber flange in the master servo gone", if i have got this correct
        Gaz

Comment

Stu

We're in Cliddesden - if you want to pop it round tomorrow Tony can have a look and let you know whats wrong.
          Just give him a ring on 07709 839891.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys,

I have taken the Servo off, and thought it may be the oneway air valve, fixed that and put all together again.

System had brake fluid in, i have bled the system.

All to no avail. I will take the Servo apart and see what the damage looks like inside.

Special thanks to the offer to have a look at the car, unfortunately I have moved from Basingstoke and now live in South Africa, we imported the truck with us. Getting a bit pannicky now as Customs still need to clear the vehicle and I can't drive the thing to them!

Stu

Comment

Working...
            X