Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing requirements

Hi all

Does anyone know precisely what Toyota do when they carry out a service? I have bought a vehicle warranty which states that I need to get the car serviced as the original manufacturer would have done, but I can choose my own garage and provide my own parts/consumables. If anyone has had a Toyota service, would it be possible to have a scan of their checklist?

Alternatively, I could get Toyota to service my Surf. They have quoted me £115 for a minor service which seems a lot to change the oil and then just look at a whole bunch of bits and pieces. I dread to think what a major service would cost!!

cheers

Rob

Hi

I'm thinking of getting one of those warranties. What company did you get the warranty from and at what cost?

Cheers
    Last edited by The Griff; 17 January 2004, 16:57.
    [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Comment

Vehicle warranty

The warranty cost £300 and last for 12 months +3 months (free). I am not sure how good they are, but it seems to cover all the expensive stuff. I'm not sure I can put the name of the place on the forum because it might count as advertising, so I'll send a private message.

The thing is - the way my life works - if I have insurance, I'll end up never claiming on it and there will be no problems. As soon as I realise that I'm paying money for no payback, I'll end up cancelling the policy and something major will fail the next day!! I am sure it's something to do with Karma!

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
        The warranty cost £300 and last for 12 months +3 months (free). I am not sure how good they are, but it seems to cover all the expensive stuff. I'm not sure I can put the name of the place on the forum because it might count as advertising, so I'll send a private message.

The thing is - the way my life works - if I have insurance, I'll end up never claiming on it and there will be no problems. As soon as I realise that I'm paying money for no payback, I'll end up cancelling the policy and something major will fail the next day!! I am sure it's something to do with Karma!
        Rob.

Put the name up, I certainly wouldn't call it advertising just good info. I think then people can make up their own mind.

Cheers

Comment

The usual thing with these warranties is that if something major fails- you can bet your £300 (literaly) that it's not covered or there is some getout clause in the small print. If it doesn't cover cracked cylinder heads or failed tranmisson for instance- then don't bother. Either could be easily dissmissed by the waranty company as wear & tear. READ THE SMALL PRINT.

In my opinion if you have the time, space and a few tools you are much better off doing all the servicing and minor repairs yourself. There is wealth of experience on this forum from people who have tackled suspension lifts even engine re-builds etc.

In the past 18 months I have tackled the folllowing service/repair/modifications on my Surf starting from a knowledge of zero:

1) Changed all fluids oil, transmission, diffs, cooling.
          2) Strip down and repair fluid clutch fan.
          3) Air & fuel fiter changes.
          4) Idler arm bush change.
          5) Wheel bearing re-pack and check.
          6) Front CV boot change.
          7) Rear window strip down & repair.
          8) Waxoil underbody, remove and seal rear of bumpers, waxoil inside body panels.
          9) 2" suspension lift inc. new rear springs and front torsion bars.
          10) Fit a tow bar.
          11) Remove sidesteps for Winter/offroading.
          12) Remove Jap 'parking' mirror.
          13) Fix stuck electric ariel.
          14) Grease all the joints underneath.
          15) Replace radiator hoses.
          16) Do the EGR.
          17) Undo the EGR mod (as it's a waste of time).
          18) Remove all the crappy Toyota 'adjustable?' shock absorbers and replace with decent ones.
          19) Re-fit a fog light for MOT....

I'm not saying that if I my engine blew up tommorow I wouldn't take the Surf into a garage - but most things covered in waranties are preventable by DIY maintenance which should be educational and fun (that or you'll end swearing a lot as you skin your knuckles (yet again...)).

Comment

Warranty

As long as it's ok...........

the place I got the warranty from is:

http://www.privatevehiclewarranty.co.uk

And they seem to be the only place who aren't concerned if the vehicle is an import, over 10 years old and over 100,000 miles. As some people have said, they may not be worth the paper they're written on, but the peace of mind they give up until the first failure is priceless!!

Comment

As long as it's ok...........

the place I got the warranty from is:

http://www.privatevehiclewarranty.co.uk

And they seem to be the only place who aren't concerned if the vehicle is an import, over 10 years old and over 100,000 miles. As some people have said, they may not be worth the paper they're written on, but the peace of mind they give up until the first failure is priceless!!
              Look at the Exclusions >>>

Exclusions

Cracks and failure to valves and cylinder heads as a result of carbon build-up. Body, paint, glass, interior/exterior trim, in-car entertainment/communication systems and connected equipment, catalytic converters, wheels, airbag and system, electrical wiring and wiring looms. Normal wear and tear/service items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement such as plugs, HT leads, brake frictional material, clutch facings, wiper blades/rubbers, V belts, hoses, light bulbs/units, tyres, batteries, exhaust systems.

Dont leave much there that you can claim for. IMO it aint worth the paper it's written on mate.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                Look at the Exclusions >>>

Exclusions

Cracks and failure to valves and cylinder heads as a result of carbon build-up. Body, paint, glass, interior/exterior trim, in-car entertainment/communication systems and connected equipment, catalytic converters, wheels, airbag and system, electrical wiring and wiring looms. Normal wear and tear/service items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement such as plugs, HT leads, brake frictional material, clutch facings, wiper blades/rubbers, V belts, hoses, light bulbs/units, tyres, batteries, exhaust systems.

Dont leave much there that you can claim for. IMO it aint worth the paper it's written on mate.
                they're all bits that are replaced on a service or would be faulty through wear and tear, bad maintenance or neglect.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                X