rear axel seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axel seals

changing rear axel seals on 3 gen surf should there be a lot of play in wheel bearing when removed or is bearing warn and needs changing if so do bearings neeed to be pressed out

Originally posted by blue davey
    changing rear axel seals on 3 gen surf should there be a lot of play in wheel bearing when removed or is bearing warn and needs changing if so do bearings neeed to be pressed out
    On the 2nd gen they do need to be pressed out, there should only be minimal play!!!
    why are you changing the seals???
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

there shouldent be any play what so ever and i have just done one on mine for the mot so i will explain what needs to be done

1:you need to clamp the brake line and remove from the back of the wheel cylinder (go very careful not to round the nut off)

2:pull the pin out holding the hand brake cable on the back of the brake

3:if you look were the axle joins the hub there will be four bolts undo these and pull out the half shaft

4:now you need to remove all the brakes,wheel cylinder,and handbrake pully,and tap the 4 studs out that hold the hud to the axle

5:now you should be left with the half shaft with the brake plate the inner oil seal, wheel bearing,press fit coller,surr clip,abs wheel (do not damage this very expensive),press fit coller all in a big bunch at the bottom

6:if you are doing the wheel bearing you may as well do the outer oil seal whilst you have it stripped .the parts you will need are wheel bearing,inner oil seal,two new press fit collers and the outer oil seal

7:once you have stripped the shaft of the above and have all the new bits take it into a garage and get them to replace the parts. it seems a hard job to do but i realy is very easy and you save loads of cash buy taking in just the half shaft and you will need the press to remove/replace the collers

hope that helps
      Last edited by kiowa; 20 September 2006, 20:30.
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

thank you

thanks for information going to do job thursday it will be a great help::

Comment

Working...
        X