Exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhausts

I took my 3.0td Surf to Bures at the weekend, it was my first time at a proper off-road site and it was a great day.

One thing I did notice was that on several occassions the exhaust did take a bit of a battering.
    Firstly the sodding huge mid section silencer did incur a few big s$$$$es. Which left me wondering why are all the other important bits underneath protected with skid plates except for the exhaust?
    And secondly, the tail pipe did ground when exiting a few holes, which definitely knocked some rust out of it and left it blowing around the silencer weld.

So, what good ideas have been tried and tested?
    Is the rear section silencer necessary?
    And are there any favoured after-market exhausts?
    Last edited by TwoBoard; 11 September 2006, 22:28.

Originally posted by TwoBoard
    I took my 3.0td Surf to Bures at the weekend, it was my first time at a proper off-road site and it was a great day.

One thing I did notice was that on several occassions the exhaust did take a bit of a battering.
    Firstly the sodding huge mid section silencer did incur a few big s$$$$es. Which left me wondering why are all the other important bits underneath protected with skid plates except for the exhaust?
    And secondly, the tail pipe did ground when exiting a few holes, which definitely knocked some rust out of it and left it blowing around the silencer weld.

So, what good ideas have been tried and tested?
    Is the rear section silencer necessary?
    And are there any favoured after-market exhausts?
    get a stainless pipe made up to exit from behind the wheel arch.You dont really need the back box as some places sell the end section of the exhaust without that little box
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I have to say, I dont think the rear small box is necessary!

I went through a rather deep ford today, at a reasonable rate of knots shall we say, and then heard a distinct knocking sound. I got out to find the rear tailpipe had parted company with the rest of the system and apart from the pipe knocking on the rear bumper I wouldn't have known!

Phoned Milners from the side of the road!

Cheers

Neil
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Cheers.
        I like that answer, I was tempted to unbolt it to test how it would sound as I thought a shorter side pipe would be the best solution. I think I will go for that then.

Any suggestions how the big fat mid-box can be protected?

Comment

Cheers.
          I like that answer, I was tempted to unbolt it to test how it would sound as I thought a shorter side pipe would be the best solution. I think I will go for that then.

Any suggestions how the big fat mid-box can be protected?
          do a search on here for stainless exhaust as some people have put pics up of there's

Comment

You need one of these...

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ifs.html

Comment

i agree dont really think the rear box is needed am in the process of welding a stainless rear section to mine... all the bends and angles are fun... whatever you decide dont leave the tailpipe too short cos them diesel fumes can re enter the cabin and leave a nasty taste in your lungs lol good luck. nice undercarriage by the way bushwacker lol (bet ya heard that before!!)
              DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Back box not required?

Hello,

Been reading these forums since I got my Surf last month. Thanks for the great advice everybody.

I need a new rear exhaust and went to check out one on eBay by slickparts-co-uk. Seemed OK, but had only got the larger box. The guy in the shop assured me that this was OK as the large box is designed to do the work of the two seperate boxes which may not have been practical on the original exhausts (technology moving on etc). Reading this thread seems to confirm that the back box is not necessary, however would this constitute a modification as far as the insurance company is concerned?

Comment

I wouldn't have thought so, as it's not a performance or cosmetic enhancement.

Comment

Had fun at the weekend, my neighbour is a metal work fabricator and between us we have redesigned my exhaust. Firstly, we chopped the pipe up and he wrapped and welded a stainless sheet around the the large mid-section silencer which has made it 'bullet-proof'. Then we re-hung it sideways under the rear of the truck in the big empty space where the spare wheel might go. He welded a short exit pipe to the silencer so the exhaust tip is now behind the drivers side rear mud-flap just under the bumper. Then from the front of the truck we have crafted a snaking pipe that passes from the first section upto and over the rear axle and then bends into the new rear silencer. It took us a little longer than we expected but the results are great. Nice shiney silencer at the back, smart side exit pipe and a couple of inches extra clearance. I went to Bures on Sunday and it performed brilliantly.

Comment

Had fun at the weekend, my neighbour is a metal work fabricator and between us we have redesigned my exhaust. Firstly, we chopped the pipe up and he wrapped and welded a stainless sheet around the the large mid-section silencer which has made it 'bullet-proof'. Then we re-hung it sideways under the rear of the truck in the big empty space where the spare wheel might go. He welded a short exit pipe to the silencer so the exhaust tip is now behind the drivers side rear mud-flap just under the bumper. Then from the front of the truck we have crafted a snaking pipe that passes from the first section upto and over the rear axle and then bends into the new rear silencer. It took us a little longer than we expected but the results are great. Nice shiney silencer at the back, smart side exit pipe and a couple of inches extra clearance. I went to Bures on Sunday and it performed brilliantly.

there's no point in telling us about your design without putting any pics up of it

Comment

I would love to put up a proud pic of our custom creation but having spent hours on Saturday making it and hours on Sunday at Bures testing it, my Surf was hit by a spinning Lotus on the A12 on the way home. It has now been recovered to a garage and I'm without it. I'm currently waiting to find out if they are going to repair it. I've only had it two months and to say I'm a little miffed is an understatement. But if any of you have a fibreglass sports car, don't drive it into a Surf's bull bars at 50mph, it won't half make a mess of your pride and joy!!!!

Comment

I would love to put up a proud pic of our custom creation but having spent hours on Saturday making it and hours on Sunday at Bures testing it, my Surf was hit by a spinning Lotus on the A12 on the way home. It has now been recovered to a garage and I'm without it. I'm currently waiting to find out if they are going to repair it. I've only had it two months and to say I'm a little miffed is an understatement. But if any of you have a fibreglass sports car, don't drive it into a Surf's bull bars at 50mph, it won't half make a mess of your pride and joy!!!!
                          If Its any consolation a m8 of ours runs Hangar 111 (pronounced one eleven) and all they do is lotus slease's and excege mods and repairs.
                          The basement bird was telling him about your little shunt and the first thing he said was "well thats at least £5000 worth of repair minimum unless of course its a right off " and in the next breath he said " I hope its one of our customers "
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

The small box on the rear pipe definitly doesn't make any difference. Just found out mine broke at the exit from the main box. Had no idea it had gone as there was no noise difference. Only reason I found it was because I heard a knock when going over a road hump and found the forward end of the rear pipe was resting on the rear axle. Just waiting for Barry at Roughtrax to send me a new box now.

Also, anyone got any idea of the size of the bolts that connect the flanges together on the exhaust as those on the broken end of the large box have snapped off trying to release the broken pipe flange from the rear pipe?
                            Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                              there's no point in telling us about your design without putting any pics up of it

Do you like these 3rd gen ones ? Made in Scotland £160 FITTED

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X