Brake overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake overhaul

Overhauling the brakes on the truck, with new discs/pads and replacing the brake fluid (I don't need to worry about the shoes as Tony sorted them earlier this year).
    Now I started today changing the dics and pad, and due to stuck bolts and rain after 4 hours I've managed one side (I have sprayed every thing with easy ease before packing up so hopefully tomorrow will be better).
    Tomorrow I hope to complete the other side and do the flush/bleed. I've just finished reading all I could find using the search, and just want to get confirmed by those with more knowledge than me that I've understood it right.
    First I bleed the near side rear (being furthest from the brake cylinder) until the clean fluid comes through the line, then it's o/s rear, n/s front, o/s front, followed by the LSPV.
    I've only ever bleed brakes on bikes before and I'm prsuming that it is the same set up. With the engine off put the bleed kit (one way valve on a pipe with a little tab that holds it onto the nipple) onto the nipple, open the nipple slightly and get some one to pump the pedal until the fluid is clear and buble free, ensuring that the container never runs dry.

Have I got every thing correct?
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

pump the pedal slowly, and hold in the down position when you tighten the nipple.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      pump the pedal slowly, and hold in the down position when you tighten the nipple.
      Do you tighten the nipple after every pump? cause on the bike I only tightened before removing the bleed kit.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
        Do you tighten the nipple after every pump? cause on the bike I only tightened before removing the bleed kit.

No, as long as the end of the bleed tube is submerged in fluid.

Comment

Thanks Vince, the job is now completed. The old brake fluid looks like used veg oil, and there was great pockets of air in the system. Now all I need is for the discs and pads to bed in and she'll be perfect, although she still managed to lock the fronts this morning when someone pulled out onto my side of the road (obviously didn't expect anyone else to use the road at 5:30, good job I'd had a good days sleep yesterday and was pretty alert (well alert for me)).
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
          X