engine dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine dies

Help. after drivnig nearly 200 miles last week the engine on my surf 3.0 started to die on me,revs dropping right down.max speed dropping to 50 and below.then picking up again. with the smell of diesel from the rear of the car.
    decided it could be fuel problem. so changed the fuel filter.drained the fuel tank.and air filter. but problem still occures,its running fine one min the suddenly engine dies reducing speed to a crawl,and the diesel smell still there.was told it could be the diafram on the top the fuel filter,changed that and conviced myself that all would be ok.engine seemed fine,running great and then coming home just from a short journey it happened again. engine died for a few mins then picks up again....HELP.

had somthing similar to that on another car, turned out to be a blocked fuel tank breather. Is there a sucking sound when you take off the fuel cap?
    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

HI

On my 2.4 i had a the same problem but I also got fault code 12 and it turned out to be a blocked filter inside the fuel tank.

steve

Comment

engine still dying

No checked filler cap.no intake of air when cap is released.happened again last night.very embarassing being proud toyota owner to be crawling along less than 5 mph. untill i managed to get it home where it purred like a kitten as if nothing was wrong.
        its going into a garage tomorro where the mechanic is very honest.after telling him what i had already done to fix this fault his answer was only one thing left to try. . .says there a tiny filter actually in the pump that can get blocked. chaeck it out in the morning see what happens.

Comment

still dying

got it back just,lucas couldnt find any fault.just took it to toyota main dealer.they not very hioeful of finding any fault either.but said it may be a faulty catalist!
          checked for air leaks in fuel pipes.none found.
          ?

Comment

Maybe it's an electronic fault/signal with the ECU. I'm not too familiar with the 3rd gen Surf, but try disconnecting the batteries for 15 minutes and see if that resets the ECU.

Comment

still dying

thanks i try that tomorro. ive just got it back from toyota garage.they couldnt find any fault but suggest it may be to do with the torque control.in other words they havent got a $$$$$$ clue.it drove back ok,only cut revs down once for a second or two.
              steve

Comment

Working...
              X