Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT emissions

Hello,

Last year my Surf narrowly passed the MOT emissions test, and it has this years MOT on Saturday. What can I do to improve or clear the emissions / smoke?

I drive it very carefully, having been totally paranoid since putting the new head on, so it's never been thrashed or even driven hard.

Should I drive it harder for a couple of days, or is a blast around the block good enough?

What about stuff like Forte treatment (I'd need to get some locally and quick though) or possibly Redex (Halfords have that) ?

thanks
    James

I use a £10 worth of diesel to half a bottle of fuel treatment mix.
    Then exercise the engine thoroughly until refuelling.

The treatments are all fairly equal. Forte, Miller's, Redex, Comma
    or Blue Coral. They all serve the same purpose.
    Last edited by MattF; 12 July 2006, 11:29.

Comment

Cheers Matt,

got a bottle of Forte treatment to go in, and I shall drive home tonight in an "enthusiastic" manner

Comment

Veg oil will bring the emmisions right down!

Comment

When you take it on Sat drive it like you nicked it

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Mines failed emissions test at last MOT. Guy put some redex in a full tank of diesel and told me to come back in a few days. He also recommended that I thrash it for at least half an hour on the day of taking it back to the garage. Worked a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
              When you take it on Sat drive it like you nicked it

Trev
              dont get carried away and do a ram raid though
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Mines going in for the MOT Friday, (I'm currently chewing my nails tothe quick). I put in a full bottle of redex on 1/4 tank, thrashed the nuts off it. Topped up with 12 litres veg, and 50 litres diesel, and are continuing to thrash her until Friday. Before I drop it off I plan to give her a good run.
                Last year she was a bit close, but my MOT station is only 1/3 mile from home.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Hang on - VEG OIL?

Can I just buy some from Sainsbury's and lob it in the tank then? What a strange idea....

Also, surely that's tax evasion or some similar $$$$?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
                    Hang on - VEG OIL?

Can I just buy some from Sainsbury's and lob it in the tank then? What a strange idea....

Also, surely that's tax evasion or some similar $$$$?
                    yes and yes but only if you get caught
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

So on a full tank you put in approx. 1/5 veg oil and 4/5 diesel?

Will the truck not smell like a chip shop, and the MOT man get suspicious???

Does this help anything other than the weight of the wallet?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
                        So on a full tank you put in approx. 1/5 veg oil and 4/5 diesel?

Will the truck not smell like a chip shop, and the MOT man get suspicious???

Does this help anything other than the weight of the wallet?

Don't you read this forum much???????

Comment

Yes the truck smells like a chippy.
                          No the MOT man will not get suspisious because I'm registered with HM Revenue and Customs, and pay my fuel duty every month.
                          You can use more veg to diesel, but unfortunately I haven't found a cheap source, and after tax the last veg cost 1.04 per litre (diesel cost 0.959).
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Taking the air filter out (temporarily of course) will also help.

Comment

Well she just passed, with a few advisories, and the emissions were 0.84.

Oh yes
                              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                              X