New rear springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rear springs

For 2" longer springs, what is the length difference between drivers and passenger side?

Also, I believe I need a drop bracket for the panhard rod. Is this correct?

I've done a rad swap, serviced the starter, swapped the timing belt changed my steering idler and done various electrical jobs. Would changing the springs and shocks be within my grasp?

What about raising the front suspension to match a 2" raised rear. Can that be done with the standard torsion bars alone, or will I need to change them?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

front torsion bars lift by 1 1/2 inches without any problems, looks like the springs are an easy job, but you may want a borrow of a bottle jack and some spring compressors mate.

dont think you need a panhard drop bracket for the 2 inch lift, and the taller spring goes on the drivers side.
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I fitted roughtrax 2" lift springs a couple of weeks back, without too much hassle. There was hardly any difference in height between the two springs, 15mm at a push. I didn't fit a drop bracket or adjustable panhard rod, and it doesn't really notice, I think you only nead it really if you're going for a bigger lift.

The hardest bit was getting the car high enough off the floor to drop the axle off the shocks. But once i had this sorted it was easy enough. I did one side at a time.

This is how i did it:-

1) crawl under car and put compressors on existing springs and tighten down just enough that the strains on the compressors not the car.

2) Take out the bolt for the brake line mount, to let it move freely without straining the brake line.

3) loosen wheel nuts, jack up back of car (chassis somewhere, not under diff or axle), i jacked it up on my towbar with the original bottle jack. Remove wheel.

4) I then used another jack under the diff just to take the strain off the bottom bolt for the shock, undid shock bolt and pulled shock back off bottom mount.

5) Remove jack under diff, and get someone to push down on the hub so you can pull out the old springs, making sure they are not under tension other than what is being held by the spring clamps.

6) Uncompress old spring carefully, and slowly compress the new spring until you can fiddle it in around the the bump stop.

7) Jack up the diff again and refit shock bottom bolt and brakeline mount.

8) Refit wheel, and lower off both jacks.

9) Chuck a few bags of sand in the back to compress the spring enough to take off the spring clamp, crawl under and take off the clamp. (Beats unwinding it all manually)

10) Repeat on other side.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
        9) Chuck a few bags of sand in the back to compress the spring enough to take off the spring clamp, crawl under and take off the clamp. (Beats unwinding it all manually)

Genius!!! Pure Genius!!!
        It just does, OK?

Comment

I fitted roughtrax 2" lift springs a couple of weeks back, without too much hassle. There was hardly any difference in height between the two springs, 15mm at a push. I didn't fit a drop bracket or adjustable panhard rod, and it doesn't really notice, I think you only nead it really if you're going for a bigger lift.
          So assumably you don't need to fit these if replacing with Landcruiser springs??
          Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyboy
            So assumably you don't need to fit these if replacing with Landcruiser springs??
            You'd be best using a drop bracket with those for the panhard rod.
            Also, those springs will be the same length, not one slightly longer
            for the driver's side.

Comment

Working...
            X