Steering idler - what does it do?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering idler - what does it do?!

OK, I have my brand new one from SDN Ltd, at the bargain price of £67.15 inc vat and delivery. The one thats on the truck has loads of play in it (seen when I had a helper move the steering wheel whilst I watched underneath) so it obviously the culprit causing the vague steering. I just got to thinking... what does the steering idler do?

I might replace it tonight, it doesn't look like a big job. Anything I need to be aware of?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Very simple job 3 bolts and undo and crack the ball joint then new one is just the reverse order.
    It is a pivot point for the shaft that is attached to the steering box and the 2 track rods are attached to to this shaft which allows the shaft to move from side to side in a linear action
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

'Crack' the balljoint? Sounds nasty!

I take it that is the one thats locked with the split-pin?

Comment

yep the best way is with a ball joint splitter but it is bossible by hitting the yoke that the taper/threaded part passes through with a large hammer this will very oftencrack the joint apart ,its a good idea to leave the nut on a couple of threds so thet if you miss with the hammer you dont damage the thread so if it doesn't crack apart you can tighten it up again and wait till you have a joint splitter

Comment

mine was an absolute pig to get off when i did it!
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

OK, three bolts out, ball joint loosened. Hammer wont free it so borrowed a splitter from a mate.

New one on now and the trucks got the legendary sports-car handling again!

Well, OK, so it hasn't but it doesn't wander on bumpy roads anymore and ther steering starts from the middle rather than 20 degrees either side!

Hardest part of the job was getting the top bolt out as my spanners were all a bit short so I couldn't get much force on them. Big hammer saves the day!

Cheers chaps!

Comment

You,re very welcome m8, all the best

Comment

Working...
              X