Hand Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Throttle

Whilst dismantling my dashboard the other day and following the diagrams I discovered that I don't have a hand throttle. The hole is there but the bit is missing. Question is, is this actually useful for anyhing and should I bother getting another one and putting it in ???

Richard.

The hand throttle is used to increase the engine revs whilst using a winch to make sure the alternator gives a decent level of charge. Other than that not much use I think - although someone will probably come up with something
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Nice cheap cruise control. Set hand throttle while eating brekkie and get into a nice warm truck................er thats all I can add
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        Nice cheap cruise control. Set hand throttle while eating brekkie and get into a nice warm truck................er thats all I can add
        never noticed a hand throttle??
        i do have the idle up, but that just sets the idle to 1500rpm but a hand throttle usually is a lever you pull out to set the throttle to wherever you want... (trucks have it for hydraulics... tippers, skip loaders etc.)
        is that what we're talking about?

shall i go back to sleep new?
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ithink it's also used to increase tickover upto 950rpm when u got the a/c turned on, early models anyway, the late ones probably have a little bit of silicone somewhere that handles that!!
          Life is not a dress rehearsal
          1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
          (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
            never noticed a hand throttle??
            i do have the idle up, but that just sets the idle to 1500rpm but a hand throttle usually is a lever you pull out to set the throttle to wherever you want... (trucks have it for hydraulics... tippers, skip loaders etc.)
            is that what we're talking about?

shall i go back to sleep new?
            The Surfs generally have an Idle Up button rather than the more adjustable (but more difficult - you need to turn the button to the speed you want) hand idle adjustment.

If you want one you can always rig up a choke cable on the throttle lever (or use a plank of wood pressed down on the accelerator)

Personally unless you are winching then I can't see the point of it. Just takes up a switch position in the dash that could be much better used for something usefull like a roof light switch.

Cheers

Comment

Yes I have an idle up switch. So I won't bother with the hand throttle. Means I can put something else in it's place...Maybe engine ejector for when it gets too hot.....

Comment

Working...
              X