Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twittering noise and movement on lower pully

Hi all,

I had the alternator replaced a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed fine but this morning when I started the engine there was this twittering noise and a rattle.

I checked the belts and the seem tight ( maybe too tight?) but I also noticed the lower pulley on the end of the crank was moving in and out about 3-5mm.

Is this normal or should I take it back to get them to check it over.

I am generally very mistrustfull of garages as most of them don't seem to actually know too much about engines( in my experience) although they can undo bolts and things as you all know they can cause more probs than they fix.

Anyway is this serious?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Sounds like your harmonic balancer is knackered...

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...id=135&vid=139

Comment

Harmonic it aint he he ,

That looks like it might be the prob, would too tight belts cause this to happen? if so I'll have words with the garage, and/ or find another garage to do any further work (again)

Oh, and how long will it run before it does something terminal ie; will it collapse or fall off??!!

Thanks.
      Last edited by plumb bob; 24 June 2006, 19:51.
      Rob

Comment

The balancer pulley just de-bonds from the rubber over time, but I would guess that having the belts too tight would accelerate the problem.

Plenty of info here.....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/se...earchid=271718

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          Oh, and how long will it run before it does something terminal ie; will it collapse or fall off??!!

Thanks.
          Who knows! One of those things that you should fix sooner than later. Can cause considerable damage to timing cover etc if not fixed.

Nev

Comment

Ok, thanks chaps, I'll keep a close eye on it, I could do without the extra expense right now.

Trying to save for new suspension and tyres but other stuff keeps going wrong( new alternator recently) and the money has to go on that.

Ah well, thats old cars for you, all you can do is keep plugging away until you've completely rebuilt the thing. He he he.
            Rob

Comment

Just had mine done mate, be aware that your alternator runs off that pulley and your battery may not be charging efficiently, mine wasn't so the pully had to be replaced.
              A pricey do too.
              French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Working...
              X