Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange auto box problem

Hi All
    I have searched and searched and can't find a discussion on this yet so here goes.
    To keep it short. 1994 3.0td surf auto. All was fine then took it in to have a rad replaced. Driving back from the garage I noticed that the box would not kick down easily and banged/thumped going into top gear. I stopped and checked fluid level and it was low, so took it back to the garage. They put about another 2.5 ltrs of fluid in and appologised (rare). I went off. Kick down now worked fine but still had the bang going into top when under power. The garage was now shut and a long way away so came home. Thought I would talk to you guys to see if anyone else had had this problem before taking it back to them.
    From memory, the fluid level was very high in the box when I checked it just after buying it a month ago (its still under warranty thankfully).
    Any suggestions?

2.5 litres!!!! Was it even registering on the dipstick???? thats more than a bottle of lemonade.
    First thing to do is check the level properly. Park on level ground with the engine running, handbrake on. Shift through all the gears P R N D 2 1 2 D N R P. leave engine running and remove the orange dipstick, give it a wipe and replace. Remove and check the fluid level. If the engine is hot (after a run) the fluid level should be within the 'Hot' range, and within the 'cold' range if engine is cold.

p.s. Don't go to that garage for any repairs in the future.

Comment

Working...
    X