rear window sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window sticking

My rear window is driving me mad. I have a K reg 2.4d and the rear window has always been a bit slow since I first acquired the beast. The problem now is that it has got so bad I have to wedge something in the top to encourage it down and use both hands pushed against the window to encourage it up (very annoying when I use it constantly to load gear in and out of the back). Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone have a solution e.g. Where do I put the grease???

Tony Stock

pop the carpet off the inside of the tailgate, unbolt the cover and you will see the guts of the tailgate, all the moving parts of the regulator need lubing, plus the widow guides and either side need cleaning out and greasing.

The trouble is dust and dirt sticks to the grease, so it needs frequent lubing to keep working nice, once a year at least. if you clean it all up properly, its worth using a dry grease like PTFE, but its expensive and a lot of trouble, I'd just WD40 out the window slides, and grease or vasaline the gears on the regulator every now and again to keep it working.

Also check the weatherstrips on the window slot in the taiulgate arnt tight or manky, some tinted window films don't seem to slide very qwell either.

Sort it soon, if you'll be in the market for a new motor, or regulater as it can strip the teeth or burn the motor out if tight, plus its a PITA if its raining and you have to wait ages to get the rear open

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      , and grease or vasaline the gears on the regulator every now and again to keep it working.

beware when buying vaseline!
      we used it for lube on our r/c cars a while back and in the chemist it was 3 for 2 offer!
      but we did get some very strange looks... 2 big blokes with skinheads going in and buying 3 of the biggest vaseline pots they had!...
      with hindsight i say OOPS!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
      X