Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear seat back tip mechanism repair for broken lever thread info needed

OK
    So I've got a broken lever, and I've got the seat release mechanism off. I think the best way to repair it is to basically cut the shaft down (remove the last turn of coarse thread that is left after it was broken off), and make a sleave (probably find something in the bits and bobs draw). Anyway, thought I could cut off a wood screw and offer the plain shank of the woodscrew into the sleeve, slide this over the remains of the mechanism shaft and then get the lot silver soldered together.
    What I need to know is how long was the coarse thread before it snapped off. If I know this, when I do my soldering job, I can get the overall thread length right, and buy (yes buy) a new pull up plastic bobble from Toyota and screw it on, as original.
    So anyone know the length of the screwthread?

Cheers... Rob.
    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

Done the job. Pretty painless after I got the mechanism out of the back seat. I had almost 1 turn left of the original screw thread, so I used this as a guide to where the threading should start. The wood screw I chose was steel, and its plain shaft (below the countersunk head that I hacksawed off) as about the same thickness as the shaft of the mechanism. I then cut off the mechanism shaft so that with the screw (now minus its head) against the end of the shaft, its first thread turn was broadly in the same place as the original thread start.
    Anyway, I searched through the draws at work and found some nice 20mm long, brass tube spacers. I drilled it out a bit (to 4.4mm) then presses it onto the mechanism shaft half way up it, and then pressed my wood screw into the remainder.
    A few minutes silver soldering later, I had the repair to the mechanism complete. I refitted it quite straight forwardly to the seat.
    As for the plastic bobble, I decided that I would buy a new one next time I was at Toyota. For now, I found a large gauge nylon bolt (another draw), that I shortened and drilled down the centre. This was then screwed on in the same fashion as the original pull bobble, and it all works a treat.

Cheers... Rob.
    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

Comment

all far to complicated! got to do one on mine tonight, going to use a loop of tape or cord eyeletted and poked up through the hole. unbreakable!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Can someone tell me if the rod from the pull toggle to the mechanism in the seat is threaded at both ends as i dont want to force it and break it
        thanks

Comment

Working...
        X