Suspension Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Lift

I'm really enjoying my second year of Surf ownership so much,that I want to start spending some more money on modifications.The primary mod being a 4inch suspension lift such as the one fitted to the Surf XL on the LA Supertrux site.
    Before plunging headfirst into it,I was wondering if anyone on this forum have actually done the work themselves (Tony N?), especially to a 91 2.4td and can give me any pointers such as how straightforeward it is, any complications/pitfalls,tyre sizes and anything else you can think of

Any info much appreciated as ever.

Have a word with "JimL" he has got a lot to say about lift jobs he gave me a good telling off the other day.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Not done an front of an IFS truck lift yet, only leaf sprung trucks.

the rear is a piece of cake, the front will involve a bit more effort, with the lowering of the diff and stuff.

I'd have a go no worries, just need a trolley jack and good axle stands.

Make sure you get extended brake lines if going 4", and check the propshaft splines still

Think about tyres as well, standard will look a little small on 4" of lift, 31's may be OK on fat rims, probably need 33's to make it look right. but then you may be dissappointed with performance due to the overgeared effect of 33" tyres, with then means you gotta regear the diff to get the ratio back (more expence). It sort of spirals ever onwards

Having said that, the deisels extra torque might not be to bad with 33's, I've only played with petrol trucks.

Alignment is some times tricky after a suspension lift, should'nt be a problem with a good kit (which LA S's are) properly fitted.

Its a better option than a body lift for going higher than 2" IMHO, and will look dead smart when done!

If you see one done, you'll be sold. Just do it, and take plenty pics.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony for the positive reply,if anyone's got more to add,feel free to post, especially any negative stuff such as the possibility of premature wear of suspension/drivetrain components,however by the number of raised Surfs on Jap photo sites it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thank you very much

Comment

I saw a lifted surf with 33's on it recently. The bodywork was shot, but it still looked great. Really stood out. I'm gonna get one some day.
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

With a 4" lift front drive chain wear is less of an issue than with a 2" lift. The 4" lift kit includes brackets to lower the front diff. A 2" inch lift involves cranking up the torsion arms as far as you dare. The greater the angle you put the drive arms at the quicker they will wear. Recommened maximum is 14.5" wheel rim-to-arch distance, much more than this and you'll wear the joints at an accelreated rate.

My advise would be to give Nigel Morris a call at LA Supertrux. He'll obviously want to do the install himself but will be able to you the pitfalls about doing a self install.

Comment

hOW ABOUT THIS "jONESY"

Originally posted by jonesey
              I'm really enjoying my second year of Surf ownership so much,that I want to start spending some more money on modifications.The primary mod being a 4inch suspension lift such as the one fitted to the Surf XL on the LA Supertrux site.
              Before plunging headfirst into it,I was wondering if anyone on this forum have actually done the work themselves (Tony N?), especially to a 91 2.4td and can give me any pointers such as how straightforeward it is, any complications/pitfalls,tyre sizes and anything else you can think of

Any info much appreciated as ever.
              Attached Files
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

Gimmie,gimmie, gimmie

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
                  Have a word with "JimL" he has got a lot to say about lift jobs he gave me a good telling off the other day.

never saw that one till now, did you go thru with the facelift in the end?

Comment

a few more
                    Last edited by marky; 15 January 2004, 15:03.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

A 4" lift is just about DIY for a competent, reasonably equiped home mechanic. As Tony said in an earlier post front end alignment will be a real git afterwards and should be done proffesionally.

L.A. Supertrux send their trucks down the the road to a tyre centre for alignment when the lift is finished as they can't do it in even their workshop.

Comment

Working...
                      X