Strip cleanable inline fuel filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats good news, Thanks Matt.

I saw a thread in here sokmwhere about some surfs being equipped with HEATED fuel filters - time to go hunting for one in the breakers, methinks.

Also saw something about inline fuel heaters on Fleabay - VoW2 models A, B, C and D. Wonder how one will work stuck just after the fuel tank and maybe a second one prefilter. Mine comes with two batteries, so it should be able to handle the current load.

Question is how the current load is going to affect the fuel consumption!!! I hate Maths & Stats!

Udhi
    Last edited by ChasesDragons; 26 May 2006, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
      Thats good news, Thanks Matt.

I saw a thread in here sokmwhere about some surfs being equipped with HEATED fuel filters - time to go hunting for one in the breakers, methinks.

Also saw something about inline fuel heaters on Fleabay - VoW2 models A, B, C and D. Wonder how one will work stuck just after the fuel tank and maybe a second one prefilter. Mine comes with two batteries, so it should be able to handle the current load.

Question is how the current load is going to affect the fuel consumption!!! I hate Maths & Stats!

Udhi

I doubt it will affect fuel consumption. The electric heaters initially
      have to heat up from ambient temperature to 80 or so degrees C.
      That is when the largest current consumption period will be. After
      the thermostats trip, the heater will only then be working periodically.
      The thermostats tend to drop back in somewhere within about 10-20
      percent of their rated temperature, if I remember correctly. A better
      solution would be a combination of electric and water heaters.
      The electric heater for the initial heat, and then the water heater
      once the engine is upto temperature.

Comment

How about fitting a Fuel Cat before the fuel pump?
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

I would have NEVER thought of that! Of course, that is the premise of a thermostat - onyl comes on when needed. Thanks again Matt.

Phil, what is a fuelcat? is that the same of those neodinyum <sp> magnets used to enhance burning?

Comment

I would have NEVER thought of that! Of course, that is the premise of a thermostat - onyl comes on when needed. Thanks again Matt.

Phil, what is a fuelcat? is that the same of those neodinyum <sp> magnets used to enhance burning?
            There is a thread in the general section regarding these at the
            moment.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23367

It is a coolant system based fuel heater. I believe it also has
            a fuel catalyst internally. I may be incorrect on that, however.

Comment

Phil, i have sent an email to the FuelCat geezers, lets see what they say.

Matt, reviewing the function of thermostatically controlled electrical fuel heaters, I now have a feeling that the glow plugs are gonna be running constantly.

They are going to be running as long as the fuel passing over them, from the tank, is cold - this is basically, all the time, so the load on the alternator is going to be constant?

The advert for the VoW2 goes on to say that the 80 deg heating is dependant on fuel flow and the fuel's original temps. This might imply that a lot of "ideal" conditions are being imposed on the capabilities of the VoW2 - totally artificial examples being the fuel coming in needs to be at an ambient temp of 20 degrees, and the flow should be in trickles per minutes to give each quantity enough time in the presence of the glowplugs - unlike our guzzlers.

The search continues
              Udhi

Comment

Phil, i have sent an email to the FuelCat geezers, lets see what they say.
                Philip IS the fuelcat geezer.

Matt, reviewing the function of thermostatically controlled electrical fuel heaters, I now have a feeling that the glow plugs are gonna be running constantly.

They are going to be running as long as the fuel passing over them, from the tank, is cold - this is basically, all the time, so the load on the alternator is going to be constant?

The advert for the VoW2 goes on to say that the 80 deg heating is dependant on fuel flow and the fuel's original temps. This might imply that a lot of "ideal" conditions are being imposed on the capabilities of the VoW2 - totally artificial examples being the fuel coming in needs to be at an ambient temp of 20 degrees, and the flow should be in trickles per minutes to give each quantity enough time in the presence of the glowplugs - unlike our guzzlers.

The search continues
                Udhi
                If the above unit works along the general principles of such units, (is
                it the one that uses a glow plug as the heater?), the unit will be drawing
                current until the VoW2 block warms up to the rated temperature of the
                thermostat. Obviously, the heater will then be disconnected from the
                supply. Initially, the heater will cycle on/off with some frequency.
                However, whilst you are running the engine, heated fuel is also being
                returned to the tank via the pump return feed. So, the fuel in the tank is
                also slowly being heated. Therefore, after a point of time, the frequency
                of the on cycle will diminish as the fuel entering the heater unit is
                prewarmed, thereby leeching less heat from the heater, thereby requiring
                the heater to come on less frequently. After a point of time, the approximate
                ratio of on/off time should be reduced in favour of the off state.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I am using B100 bought via Cambridge Biodiesel from Global Commodities in Norfolk. Very happy with the quality. I do loads of motorway miles and have done approx 3,000 on the last filter with no signs of clogging and I use no pre-filter.
                  The proper RME I have seen (Cambridge are thinking of supplying it and had some samples) is brilliant. Looked just like a good single malt.....
                  You shouldn't be having these probs. Good luck in sorting it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X