fuel cat impersonating a colander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel cat impersonating a colander

ok, i give up. should there be a tube/roll of sealant included with these things?
    got a drip of water leaking, no matter what i do..

and now i have connected it to the right side of the fuel filter so i can get the air pushed out of it, its leaking fuel too. bored.

i am not using the elbows that came with the kit for the fuel side, will this make a difference?

yours fed up with stinking of diesel, fed up with a truck that will only run at tick over. and heartily sick of trying to save the planet!

(why is it when you get peeved with a job, the draw cord on your fleece always gets caught on the front door handle? )

and why isn't there a smiley for '###-sticking, #### up a rope, mother ####ing useless jubileee clips, ####struck son of a #########who invented them should have been ####### at birth!!'
    it's in me shed, mate.

Are you fittings tapered thread? the threads in the cat are usually parallel, if you use the same fitting it won't seal without a shoulder and washer on the fitting.

Try some PTFE tape or similer.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

using the fittings taht came with it.. thought they would be tapered cos it fits on the curve, and theres no other way for it to seal... i'll try it with the elbowsw on ... in a bit. cheers tony
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I had several of the old ones from Philip that leaked coolant at weld.
        but after a few trails he got me one with beefed up weld, and thats been fine

as tony said, try ptfe - if its leaking at threads? (which mine doesnt have)
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

no welds on it! leaking from all the joints...
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

wonder if they are pressure tested for integrity before shipping
            they need to be tested to 50-100psi
            and defintely around or above 15psi (rad cap release pressure)
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

this one wasn't....
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Will the builder/seller not exchange this?? Sounds well worrying - build and service wise.

Udhi

Comment

the only worrying thing about this is that someone with my lack of ability would tackle the job!
                  i have spoken to phillip about this, he has explained the cure (sealing the threads) and its going to be put right soon as i get a chance. he did offer to exchange it, but as its my error, i wont be troubling him.
                  to summerise, fuelcats are great, phillips a fine fellow to deal with, and i am a blthering idiot!
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    the only worrying thing about this is that someone with my lack of ability would tackle the job!
                    i have spoken to phillip about this, he has explained the cure (sealing the threads) and its going to be put right soon as i get a chance. he did offer to exchange it, but as its my error, i wont be troubling him.
                    to summerise, fuelcats are great, phillips a fine fellow to deal with, and i am a blthering idiot!
                    Fair 'nuff. How DO you seal the threads - I wanna know as I am saving up for one of these (again).

Udhi

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
                      Fair 'nuff. How DO you seal the threads - I wanna know as I am saving up for one of these (again).

Udhi
                      If your feeling adventurous, the biopower website has a section
                      on making a coolant based fuel heater. The one deviation I would
                      suggest from the design would be using cupro-nickel, (Kunifer),
                      tubing rather than copper for the fuel line. I eventually managed to
                      find info on the catalytic effect of copper on certain compounds,
                      ironically, on distillery based websites. It does appear that copper
                      can have quite a dramatic effect on certain compounds. Anyhow,
                      getting back to the original point, , I was advised that PTFE may
                      allow oil to seep eventually. A plumbers compound for oil pipework,
                      semi-hardening plumbers joint sealing compound or something like
                      Hermatite red would probably be preferable.

I may, however, be completely wrong.

Comment

i reckon matts right. however refer to my last post for my qualifications!!
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons

Udhi
                          PTFE tape and a smear of hermatite should do the trick, (make sure you wind on the ptfe the right way - looking on the end of the male thread that is going into the female thread first - clockwise)
                          3 turns for 1/4 thread, 6 for 3/8, 8-10 for 1/2" ;yes:
                          Last edited by fatfires; 3 June 2006, 17:51.
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X