Fuel hose and filter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel hose and filter help

I suspect someone with a more brilliant mind than mine will know the answer to this:
    I was thinking about putting an inline filter into the fuel line just prior to my standard Toyota filter canister (KZN130). I am now running bio and just want to make sure the fuel is as clean as poss so I don't stuff up the pump or worse and I thought a clear inline filter would allow me to see just what is coming down the lines which you can't do with the orignal cannister. Two questions;
    1. Will an ordinary Crossland plastic inline filter with 'paper' element be ok.? At least you can see through it and it costs pennies to change.

2. Regarding a bit of fuel line into which to fit it, my local place has offered me some black what looks like rubber hose with a black cloth braiding over it. I know bio reacts with some rubber hoses, so will this do and if not what do I need to look out for when buying it.?

Thanks for your help in advance.

hi mate ,this type of filter is fitted to all sorts of machinery,so should be fine if it is of the right type to allow the mixture of bio that you are using ,as far as the fuel line goes this is the correct type for fuel oil so cant be that different but i would think that there is enough slack in the fuel line to allow it to be fitted with out any extra pipe ,the only other consideration may be that if you add any extra restrictions to the fuel system this may in turn place a strain on the fuel pump, but i doubt this will make much of a difference

Comment

Thanks Mud-ge. You've confirmed what I thought, but I am new to Bio and didn't want to find I had made things worse not improved them. I just know it has different characteristics to fossil fuel generally esp regarding rubber hoses and plastics.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock
        I just know it has different characteristics to fossil fuel
        generally esp regarding rubber hoses and plastics.
        SVO itself shouldn't generally cause a problem with rubber seals
        and such. There have been some problems with fuel pump seals
        and SVO reported on the site, but those seals were probably
        pretty knacked anyway, and the SVO just gave them a final tickle.
        Biodiesel is the fuel that actively attacks natural rubber components.
        Both biodiesel and SVO will lift any crud from your fuel tank/pipes,
        however, so the extra filter may well save your main filter from a
        quick demise

Matt

Comment

Working...
        X