spare wheel in way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare wheel in way

can anyone help fitted a tow bar from towsure with no problems so far so good until i found the release handle on trailer hits spare wheel when turning right cant lower ball anymore without the trailer being nose heavy yours stuck lyndon

Originally posted by wildman1
    can anyone help fitted a tow bar from towsure with no problems so far so good until i found the release handle on trailer hits spare wheel when turning right cant lower ball anymore without the trailer being nose heavy yours stuck lyndon
    Two options here-
    a) Plan route carefully to avoid all right hand turns.
    b) Pop into your local factors/trailer parts shop and purchase an alloy spacer block designed to be bolted between the ball hitch and the towbar.

b) is the preferable option
    I had the same problem with my jockey wheel handle hitting the spare wheel cover and cracking it, so I fitted two spacers, one 50mm and one 25mm, which does the job nicely. To be fair though it is only a small 6 x 4 trailer with 500cwt capacity.
    Keith

Comment

Or buy a Surf with an underslung spare...
      It just does, OK?

Comment

or find someone with an underslung spare who would swap.. what colour is yours?????
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

spare wheel in way

thought about spacers just worried about how many spacers it would take ,i tow a 21 ft caravan as well,i have a 1996 silver ssrg 3.oltr td

Comment

veggie

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
            Or buy a Surf with an underslung spare...
            do you use cooking oil or are you rape seed ect

Comment

Plain, cheap cooking oil. £9 for 20 litres...
              It just does, OK?

Comment

Somerfields cheap vegatable oil is rape seed oil, it says so in the 'ingredients'
                Perhaps that's why it smells rancid when used in the truck.

Comment

fuel filter

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Somerfields cheap vegatable oil is rape seed oil, it says so in the 'ingredients'
                  Perhaps that's why it smells rancid when used in the truck.
                  do you change your filter and are there any problems in cold weather i have used rape seed but it has been treated with an additive of some sort

Comment

If you're gonna be using veg oil a lot, then change the filter twice as often as you would when using diesel.
                    Colder weather you'll need to thin it down by adding diesel, About 30% veg oil to 70% diesel in the really cold months, opposite ratio in the middle of summer. Unless you have a fuel heater of course, but thats another topic!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      If you're gonna be using veg oil a lot, then change the filter twice as often as you would when using diesel.
                      Colder weather you'll need to thin it down by adding diesel, About 30% veg oil to 70% diesel in the really cold months, opposite ratio in the middle of summer. Unless you have a fuel heater of course, but thats another topic!

hmmmmm does this help the towing problem as well
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Happy to help.

p.s. I didn't instigate the hijack!

Comment

tow bar+fuel

Originally posted by Koi
                          hmmmmm does this help the towing problem as well
                          sorted tow bar got some more steel made longer brackets bringing it further out by about 4 inches just got to paint it.its allways good to ask people who are using veg oil rather than people who are guessing or making mistakes myself thanks for help for now .

Comment

Working...
                          X