‘a wobbly front wheel’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘a wobbly front wheel’

Well it’s not taken long for the faults to start showing themselves.

Had the Surf a month, 31 day warranty, and the steering wheel started twitching.

Took it to a place recommended by the dealer, and had a look at what can only be described as ‘a wobbly front wheel’

Its yer ball joint! Said they.

With the wheel jacked off the ground grab the top & bottom of the wheel and it wobbles.
    So I rang a place (again, as recommended) and struggled to describe that it was that I wanted to order, as not been a mechanic I could only go by the description (Its yer ball joint!) that I had.

I have looked in Milners & Roughtrack parts list and would not be sure of what to order if I was to get the bits myself, so will have to wait and see what they tell me to order.

Any suggestions as to what part it would be, as I am sure you lot would have more idea than them.

Had 2 new tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago as the originals were not very good and I thought I could detect a feint wobble then, fitted 31-10.5x15 Enduro A/T Runway

Tyre place said one of the wheels was hard to balance, and I got them to check tracking at same time. Perfect, So I thought problem was gone, but no, I started to feel the wobble again.
    Last edited by garyb; 5 April 2006, 17:53.

First off, if you bought from a dealer, you have a legal minimum of 3 months warranty, unless you bought as a "trade sale" in which case any warranty is good. If you bought as normal stock then get straight back to the dealer and demand it is put right. If you get hassle, get in touch with your local Trading Standards office.
    Mike G

Comment

Oh no worries with the dealer yet, its getting looked at as a warranty job, I just wanted to be as clued up as possible for the inevitable discussions (its this, that, the other)

Its been a long time since I got my hands dirty on a motor, Had a Trooper for the last 6 years, always took it to the garage, but before that had many a late night working on the Landy.

Decided that as there is so much info & support on the site I will be doing as much as I want to do on the Surf, (ordered the filter kit already), Heck I have even started talking to my lad about getting it dirty at weekends and he is well impressed, he was to young to enjoy the Landy.

Comment

Originally posted by garyb

Its yer ball joint! Said they.

With the wheel jacked off the ground grab the top & bottom of the wheel and it wobbles.

If thats all they did it could just as easily, and more likely to be the wheel bearings

Just a heads up, they are probably right, but it could be other things, and the way you typed it sound like the usual 'Yeah mate, its this or that....' attitude of most garages these days, then you spend a load of money and it turns out to be something else.

Get it checked properly.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          If thats all they did it could just as easily, and more likely to be the wheel bearings

Just a heads up, they are probably right, but it could be other things, and the way you typed it sound like the usual 'Yeah mate, its this or that....' attitude of most garages these days, then you spend a load of money and it turns out to be something else.

Get it checked properly.
          Yeah. Get another opinion from someone that will do more than simply wobble the wheel. A written report stating problems and replacement parts needed would be good.

Nev

Comment

Working...
          X