No 4 wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 4 wheel drive

First snow of the year and i can't get out the village.
    I have a 92 2.4td automatic
    With the selector in 'H' i depressed the 4 wheel drive button and heard a click like a relay operating did not get 4WD light on dash but i know that bulb has blown.
    Took it to a garage who could manually rotate the front driveshaft with the 4WD button off, when the button was depressed the driveshaft felt as though it was engaged but on a road test on sheet ice it was clear that only rear wheels were being driven whilst $wd was selected has anyone any ideas please as the garage has little info on surfs.
    Cheers

Originally posted by Garmo
    With the selector in 'H' i depressed the 4 wheel drive button and heard a click like a relay operating did not get 4WD light on dash but i know that bulb has blown.
    Took it to a garage who could manually rotate the front driveshaft with the 4WD button off, when the button was depressed the driveshaft felt as though it was engaged but on a road test on sheet ice it was clear that only rear wheels were being driven whilst $wd was selected has anyone any ideas please as the garage has little info on surfs.
    Cheers
    There is a vacuum solenoid on the transfer case that sticks if not used, then check the ADD solonoids, a pair on the drivers side wing by the fuse box normally, and the ADD actuator itself on the front diff. Wires and vacuum pipes could pulled off or split.

If you take the soloniod off from the t/case, you can select 4wd manually by pulling/push (can't remember which) on a lever though the hole, just prove the rest of the system is working.

Also a relay under the dash, by the steering column.

if the shaft is tight, but still no 4WD, its points that the t/case solonoid is OK, and the problem is in the ADD.

Good luck!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It is likely to be something to do with the ADD (Auto Disconnecting Differential) I have attached a link to a document that details troubleshooting it. The most common causes are the vacuum connections being wrong after some work has been done on it.

Hope this helps

Rich.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...l%20system.pdf
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by Garmo
        Cheers
        Tony and Rich , Big thanks , will get on on first thing tomorrow will post outcome. Ps excuse any breach of site protocols I know as much about computers as I do 4WD systems
        Merry Xmas

Comment

Working...
        X