W/S Manual, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W/S Manual, any good?

It would seem that the only workshop manual available for my '89 2.4TD is Max Ellery's. Does anyone know if this manual is any good? I'd rather nut it out myself than fork out for a manual thats a waste of paper!

Can't wait for that bleedin boat to arrive with my lovely Snap-On toolkit
    Any comments anyone, or does anyone know of any other W/S Manuals available? I would take my laptop into the garage but it doesnt respond well to getting covered in oil,diesel and blood!

Cheers
    Pete
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Super Cheap Auto Parts in Albany currently have a haynes manual for non turbo surf on special for $39. I'm in the same boat as you, hope this helps.

Comment

hmm, but what about me turbo then?

Cheers RObert,
      I have a feeling tho that the addition of a turbo, as mine is, could make a lot of the engine section useless?

Dunno tho, I fixed bikes for a living and know precious little about Turbo's, apart from I love the sound!!

Know of any good 4WD tracks around Auckland?

CHeers
      Pete
      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

The haynes manual 'Toyota Hi-Lux & 4Runner (diesel) 1979 thru 1996 series LN'
        Definately worth having, even if you have a 89 surf 2.4 td.
        all running gear and motor the same.
        Yes it is missing a bit on the turbo and associated plumbing/wiring, but the rest is all good.
        I have same car as you and this manual has helped me alot.

The west coast, top of muriwai beach sand dunes, lagoon, take your rod.
        and some rust killer.ah.. I'd best stick to mech. probs. here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete The Tart
          It would seem that the only workshop manual available for my '89 2.4TD is Max Ellery's. Does anyone know if this manual is any good? I'd rather nut it out myself than fork out for a manual thats a waste of paper!

Can't wait for that bleedin boat to arrive with my lovely Snap-On toolkit
          Any comments anyone, or does anyone know of any other W/S Manuals available? I would take my laptop into the garage but it doesnt respond well to getting covered in oil,diesel and blood!

Cheers
          Pete
          Pete.

I've got a copy of the Max Ellery one and I think for your 89 (presumably with the 2LT engine) it is pretty much as good as you can get. It's a bit lacking on any info on the 2LTE and the layout is a bit strange but it certainly does the job one mine (mines a 2LTE but I get by with it).

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I've bought the Haynes manual which sems to cover most of the areas I need, will probably buy the Max Ellery one as well as the Haynes is missing in a few area's, noteably the steel snail.

As for buying my Snap-On toolkit for £50........please join the long line of EXTREMELY optimistic hopefuls
            1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Just wanna echo what Lucky has said re the Ellery manual. Got mine in the post last week from AmazonUK. It does have a small section on the turbo although mentions nothing about a coolant feed which I have seen exists on friends surfs (although not on mine)???
              But the layout is pants. Every topic is just fired on the page one after the other no telling where the heading is or subheading and theres so much info in there its very very poor on being in your face letting you know what model they are covering in each article. Although they seem to cover a lot its just sifting thru the mire.
              Could've done a better job with a typewriter and a highlighter.
              Also no mention of rear windows or hilux surfs only 4runners

Comment

Working...
              X