leaking brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking brakes

I have just noticed a fine spray of what looks like brake fluid on the inside of my alloys (all 4 but back ones are worst)the back wheels also have a black residue on the outside.Is it possible the brake pipes have corroded or burst (the brake reservoir is still just below the upper level)?
    Last edited by RobD; 23 December 2003, 14:03.
    Powered by ????

Find it hard to believe all four are leaking at the same time! especially on a newer car like yours, does the rear have have discs? the black stuff will be pad dust if so. You definatly won't burst 4 hoses at the same time, and its virtually impossible that all the seals will have gone at the same time. the only thing is if the hoses have been perished for a while, going one after the other, but on one noticed, but brakes would have suffered as the first one split. Has anyone done any brake work lately, some garage chimps clamp the hoses with mole grips when removing the calipers/pistons, and could have damaged them all at once

Hows the pedal feel, if anything is leaking it won't hold the same position under heavy foot pressure.

Not been cleaning the wheels lately? cleaner on the inside of the rims?

Take a wheel off and get someone to stomp on the brakes, see if you can see anything weird happeneing.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Find it hard to believe all four are leaking at the same time! especially on a newer car like yours, does the rear have have discs? the black stuff will be pad dust if so. You definatly won't burst 4 hoses at the same time, and its virtually impossible that all the seals will have gone at the same time. the only thing is if the hoses have been perished for a while, going one after the other, but on one noticed, but brakes would have suffered as the first one split. Has anyone done any brake work lately, some garage chimps clamp the hoses with mole grips when removing the calipers/pistons, and could have damaged them all at once

Hows the pedal feel, if anything is leaking it won't hold the same position under heavy foot pressure.

Not been cleaning the wheels lately? cleaner on the inside of the rims?

Take a wheel off and get someone to stomp on the brakes, see if you can see anything weird happeneing.
      Tony,Shoes on the rear,no work has been done on the brakes since I bought it (still under warranty),the pedal feels fine,but brakes grab violently when stopping at low speeds(on some occasions,not all of the time),I clean the wheels every week,I noticed it more today because of the black deposit on the rims,then noticed the fine spray inside.The Surf is booked in on Monday at St Marys,Kirkcudbright(where I bought it)they are going to sort it out under warranty.
      Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
        Tony,Shoes on the rear,no work has been done on the brakes since I bought it (still under warranty),the pedal feels fine,but brakes grab violently when stopping at low speeds(on some occasions,not all of the time),I clean the wheels every week,I noticed it more today because of the black deposit on the rims,then noticed the fine spray inside.The Surf is booked in on Monday at St Marys,Kirkcudbright(where I bought it)they are going to sort it out under warranty.
        a known problem with these vehicles is for the axle oil seals to fail and leak oil onto the rear brakes causing low speed lock up. remove the drums and have a look to see if the rear brakes have been contaminated with oil.
        seems quite a common problem in the US with some having the seals replaced repeatedly. also check for blocked diff breather.
        jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
        1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi-jim
          a known problem with these vehicles is for the axle oil seals to fail and leak oil onto the rear brakes causing low speed lock up. remove the drums and have a look to see if the rear brakes have been contaminated with oil.
          seems quite a common problem in the US with some having the seals replaced repeatedly. also check for blocked diff breather.
          The brakes have been checked,no leaks or oil contamination was spotted by the mechanic.Would the oil be visible on the wheels if there was a problem with the axle oil seals?
          Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
            The brakes have been checked,no leaks or oil contamination was spotted by the mechanic.Would the oil be visible on the wheels if there was a problem with the axle oil seals?
            On the rear yes, blocked breathers a classic for this, but not on the front.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Probably worth thoroughly cleaning all of the wheels and monitoring what happens. It may just have been something that you ran over (like Diesel) or the local cat fraternity has taken a liking to scenting your wheels!

Theorising here - sticking or excessive use of the brakes making the wheel bearing grease melting with the heat from the summer not now! (Specially if it's the wrong grease) Have you got some big hills that you hold the brakes on alot rather than shifting into 2nd or 1st?
              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Rich

don't know if this is significant,I have a steep driveway would this have anything to do with it?

TonyN
                where abouts on the diff are the breathers?( ) and how would I unblock them if need be ( )