100% Bio in Surf and Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Bio in Surf and Cherokee

I have read (nearly) all of the links on the site relating to Biodiesel and I am taking the plunge. I have found a company in Norfolk who manufacture 100% Biodiesel and sell it at a reasonable price.
    The best way of buying it for me is 1000 litres at a time, which is no problem. HOWEVER.............
    The farmer on whose farm I can site my tank runs a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 diesel, the VM engine. To soften the blow of buying so much fuel they have offered to form a little cooperative and go in with me on this.
    Having suggested it I am now worried that 100% Bio (proper refined stuff) might bu**er up their trusty old motor.
    How embaressing would it be if it died due to my 'brilliant' idea?
    Any one know about the VM engines suitability to Bio.
    Do I just recommend they start with a 20% mix and change the filter a few times as I am doing in the first instance before running 100%?
    Any ideas?
    I have looked at the Jeep website and it's rubbish compared to our very own Surf one and no use at all.
    Julian

I only know VM engines are a POS...

Here they were mounted in some Toyota 70 Series, Range Rovers, Jeeps, Opel Fronteras and some more...

They're boat engines with separate heads for each cylinder, they break a lot!

David
    '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard
      I only know VM engines are a POS...

Here they were mounted in some Toyota 70 Series, Range Rovers, Jeeps, Opel Fronteras and some more...

They're boat engines with separate heads for each cylinder, they break a lot!

David
      That's the engine. I know its the same as the RR one and not surprised if its poo that they used it. Amazed it was used in a Toyota!

Comment

In Spain they were sold with VM engines (4 and 5 cylinders) because of import taxes or something stupid like that.

70 series with VM engine were made in Portugal.

David
        '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Comment

I am trying to set up a 100% Biodiesel filling station so have done some research and things like that....

The very very best Biodiesel you can get is German Specification Rapeseed Methyl Esther B100 Biodiesel. This is almost the same as ordinary diesel.

I have sourced UK Biodiesel which does not quite meet the EN spec for Biodiesel because they cannot get the gel or cloud point low enough. Ie when it gets cold it clogs your filters and freezes, so you need at the very least to run a blend. If the Biodiesel is made from Waste Veg Oil this will be the type it is.

Thirdly, as you point out, if you are running high % Biodiesel change your oil filters every 1, 2 then 3 tanks of refuelling since it cleans all the stagnant crud from your tank the normal diesel left behind - it is actually cleaner than diesel in that respect. If you don't your engine could die from clogged filters.

Fourth, keep an eye on your system. I have not bottommed this out yet, but Biodiesel melts rubber. (Eg the rubber in the petrol-pump line). Current Toyota models are rumoured to be rubber-free, but signs of probs are weeping, expansion, and suchlike. You need Viton replacements.

Good luck and good ideas !

Peterg

Comment

Just re-read your post and understood it a bit better !

As you may have gathered, the best thing to do is to check Jeep and VM engines versus their rubberised fuel system content. Don't know myself my friend, that is for you to search the internet on. Particularly search with relation to the fuel injector pump, or the uplift pump, and the seals they use. German fuel injector pumps seem fine (Bosch) but Lucas pumps generally don't.

Biodiesel 20%, or, rumoured, even up to 50% in a mix with ordinary diesel will not affect rubber too badly, so I have heard.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Working...
            X