Norfolk killed my brakes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk killed my brakes....

They haven't been the same since I first went through the water....

The brakes still stop the vehicle well enough, the problem is that I have to push the pedal an extra 2 inches to get the same effect as before. I couldn't pull the handbrake on at Norfolk because so much crap had got caught in the handbrake cable on the rear axle. Clearing this solved that problem but then I could pull the handbrake all the way on whilst driving down the A11 with absolutely no effect! I tried reversing and jamming on the brakes (and handbrake) hoping that the rear brakes might adjust themselves properly, which helped slightly (handbrake now works but needs pulling up a bit more). Still have to press the pedal a long way down though. Sounds to me like the pads/shoes are too far away from the disc/drum and I'm having to push the pedal further to compensate...dunno what the cause would be tho. Not lost any fluid yet
    I'm thinking my rear drums need stripping down and sorting out properly. I haven't been out to check anything so far as it's too damn cold and dark!

Any suggestions?

Not a big deal, happens all the time.

The rear drums need (should always be done technically) hosing out after offroad trips, Toy drums are great at collecting dirt that rolls around the shoes as you press the brakes, that why I'm fitting discs to the rear of my truck.

Sometimes you get dirt imbedded in the front pads, takes a while to wear the top layer away. Most of you problems should be the rears though.

You may have to take the drums off and sqirt brake cleaner in the mech to get all the junk out.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
      They haven't been the same since I first went through the water....

The brakes still stop the vehicle well enough, the problem is that I have to push the pedal an extra 2 inches to get the same effect as before. I couldn't pull the handbrake on at Norfolk because so much crap had got caught in the handbrake cable on the rear axle. Clearing this solved that problem but then I could pull the handbrake all the way on whilst driving down the A11 with absolutely no effect! I tried reversing and jamming on the brakes (and handbrake) hoping that the rear brakes might adjust themselves properly, which helped slightly (handbrake now works but needs pulling up a bit more). Still have to press the pedal a long way down though. Sounds to me like the pads/shoes are too far away from the disc/drum and I'm having to push the pedal further to compensate...dunno what the cause would be tho. Not lost any fluid yet
      I'm thinking my rear drums need stripping down and sorting out properly. I haven't been out to check anything so far as it's too damn cold and dark!

Any suggestions?
      Exactly the same happened to me - a good wash off today helped remove the tons of crap caught up in everything, and now they've dried off the brakes are ok. My handbrake cable also managed to stop working - nearly hit myself in the nose now before it engages - shd have that sorted out later this week tho.

L
      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Brakes

Originally posted by Linda
        Exactly the same happened to me - a good wash off today helped remove the tons of crap caught up in everything, and now they've dried off the brakes are ok. My handbrake cable also managed to stop working - nearly hit myself in the nose now before it engages - shd have that sorted out later this week tho.

L
        Exactly the same here.Thought it would be dirt in the rear brakes and Tony just clarified it for me. Cheers mate.It's nice to have someone armed with that sort of knowlage.

Thanks for the picture Linda and all the others that made it a special day.

Geoff.
        Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

i find mine are terrible when wet (and collect a lot of crap) after a bit of high speed fording you gotta stand on the peddal.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks guys, glad to hear it isn't just my truck!

Now all I gotta do is find the time to sort it out, with some daylight preferably. Haven't even cleaned it yet. Hmm, must grease those drive shafts....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              Hmm, must grease those drive shafts....
              Yeah, was gonna do a post about this to remind people, important job ASAP, cos of the amount of water that the place. Greasy nipples needed!

Comment

Yup, my brakes are just as bad as the rest of yours, handbrake too! Must get down to the Jetwash tomorrow then...or soon anyway!
                Rob

'92 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                "You Sir are drunk!"
                "Ahh yes Madam, but you are ugly and in the morning I shall be sober."
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Robster
                  Yup, my brakes are just as bad as the rest of yours, handbrake too! Must get down to the Jetwash tomorrow then...or soon anyway!
                  Now you know why I got the week off, it takes a couple of days to get rid off the undergrowth and grease the old girl up again. Dont forget to check and grease the steering bump stops or you might get embaressing noises when on full lock, and grease ALL THE HAND BRAKE CABLE AND LINKAGES YOU CAN SEE. Drop your front bashplate before you pressure wash as that will hold a lot of compost and release all frogs/newts back into the wild.
                  Definatly pull youe rear wheels and brake hubs off to wash out all the crud and then lightly grease return springs and any other MECHANICAL moving parts, (NOT THE SHOES) this just helps to protect the unseen moving parts and gets you familiarised with parts of your surf that you never or rarely see.
                  sumo
                  p.s. For sale, 2 buckets of fine Norfolk leaf mould assorted twigs and 3 buckets of rich dark furtile soil. Good compost starter. ANY OFFERS.
                  If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

I've just been outside for the last 2 hours under my truck - damn its cold - 0 deg C here. Have washed off all the mud with the hosepipe, pulled a few trees out and greased the joints - all by torch light. I usually drop the skid plates but there's hardly anything trapped this time - not like devils pit. I couldn't take the wheels and drums off tonight because I'd lost control of my fingers by that point due to the temperature!

Comment

Can someone post that picture of where the nipples are and what grease to use??? Better give my baby a little bit of TLC after her wonderful efforts on Sunday!!
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Linda............

get crawling under there................

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          Linda............

get crawling under there................
                          Do you just greese until it comes out, i'e fill em up?
                          2 Tone Mud Master!
                          http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by carbonman
                            Do you just greese until it comes out, i'e fill em up?
                            just keep it going as it will push all the old grease out
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X