Steering Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Recall

I found the attached document that has been translated from Japanese. It seems to list all the VIN numbers that are affected by the steering component recall.

Grant.
    Attached Files

Steering Recall

Originally posted by Grant
    I found the attached document that has been translated from Japanese. It seems to list all the VIN numbers that are affected by the steering component recall.

Grant.
    Hmm... I think I should have re-translated the "Circumstance of Trouble". The long and short of it is, because of the way Japanese drivers do lots of 3-point turns the relay rod (what I think we call a track rod) suffers from metal fatigue, a crack appears and eventually it will fail.

As far as I am aware the Australian Surfs aren't subject to the recall because they don't have the same driving conditions, but since most of the Surf's in the UK spent the first 10 years of their life in Japan, it's quite likely that they will have the same problem as the ones still there.

I'm contacting the Toyota GB Imports department tomorrow, as they're only open tuesday to thursday. I will post more information about this as I find out more.

Grant.

Comment

As far as I am aware the Australian Surfs aren't subject to the recall because they don't have the same driving conditions, but since most of the Surf's in the UK spent the first 10 years of their life in Japan, it's quite likely that they will have the same problem as the ones still there.Grant.
      All Aussie Surfs are imports like the UK. I have heard of three of these parts breaking in Australia. Toyota Australia will not recall the Surfs because they are not a Toyota Australia product. If we want a new Relay Rod we will have to buy and fit it ourselves.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        All Aussie Surfs are imports like the UK. I have heard of three of these parts breaking in Australia. Toyota Australia will not recall the Surfs because they are not a Toyota Australia product. If we want a new Relay Rod we will have to buy and fit it ourselves.

Nev
        Nev,

Surely just because they're no longer in Japan they shouldn't be exempt from the recall. Wouldn't Toyota Australia just charge back the cost of parts and fitting to Toyota Japan, as they would still have to change them if the vehicle was still in Japan.

With something as serious as total steering failure, I would certainly want the part replaced even if I had to pay for it. But I would rather not have to pay if I don't need to.

Grant

Comment

Nev,

Surely just because they're no longer in Japan they shouldn't be exempt from the recall. Wouldn't Toyota Australia just charge back the cost of parts and fitting to Toyota Japan, as they would still have to change them if the vehicle was still in Japan.

With something as serious as total steering failure, I would certainly want the part replaced even if I had to pay for it. But I would rather not have to pay if I don't need to.

Grant
          Toyota Australia is a seperate company from Toyota Japan and really don't care about Surf owners.I don't think they are legally required to recall the Surfs either so they won't. Not their problem if someone dies.

With recalls I doubt there is more than a small percentage that are actually fixed. Vehicles change hands and subsequent owners are never notified because this info is not available. The Aussie 4Runner was recalled for this fault but as far as I know very few of these have been fixed.

Nev
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 20 February 2006, 12:08.

Comment

Toyota Australia is a seperate company from Toyota Japan and really don't care about Surf owners.I don't think they are legally required to recall the Surfs either so they won't. Not their problem if someone dies.

With recalls I doubt there is more than a small percentage that are actually fixed. Vehicles change hands and subsequent owners are never notified because this info is not available. The Aussie 4Runner was recalled for this fault but as far as I know very few of these have been fixed.

Nev
            Nev,

I think Toyota Australia must have a bit of a short sighted attitude, imagine the adverse publicity if someone does actually die because a Toyota (of any description or origination) has a catastrophic steering failure.

As far as I am aware Toyota GB is also a separate company from Toyota Japan. Hopefully they won't be quite so short sighted.

Grant.

Comment

This has been discussed several times on here and the Aus forums, do a search to find more info, this is the main one. http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ghlight=recall

Comment

Steering Recall

I think the replacement part number is: 04004-52135

I can't tell whether this is a LH or RH drive part. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a difference, or would you just turn it round?

As far as I can tell the replacement part has slightly thicker, and better formed casting at the points where the Relay Rod/Track Rod connects to the other steering components and the steering damper.

Grant.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                  This has been discussed several times on here and the Aus forums, do a search to find more info, this is the main one. http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ghlight=recall
                  Andy,

I looked at that, but I couldn't find the list of VIN numbers that are affected. So that's why I posted the one I found. Apologies for not posting it in the original thread .

Grant.

Comment

I think the replacement part number is: 04004-52135

Nev

More pics here.

http://groups.msn.com/toyotasurf/steeringrecallkit.msnw

Nev

Comment

Aussie forum Relay Rod discussion.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=0

Nev

Comment

Nev,

I guess that confirms the part number then.

Any idea whether the kit is RH or LH drive? Did they even make a LH drive Surf?

Grant.

Comment

Nev,

I guess that confirms the part number then.
                          That's the part.

Any idea whether the kit is RH or LH drive? Did they even make a LH drive Surf?
                          RH Drive. Maybe a US 4Runner had a similar recall but I don't know.

Nev

Comment

That's the part.

RH Drive. Maybe a US 4Runner had a similar recall but I don't know.

Nev
                            Nev,

That's great, thanks for all the info. If Toyota GB don't do the recall for free at least I now know which part I need to order.

Grant.

Comment

Hi, theres more & clearer information on this web site; www.dogandlemon.com
                              about serial no's etc

Comment

Working...
                              X