Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnsiddle
    Thanks Mate.
    I will blitz it on Sat, starting with taking the thermostat out. If that doesnt cure it ..... back to the drawing bd.

When you say the vicious (OK I cant smell prperly) do you mean the fan coupling???

john
    My 2.4 managed about 60 miles before exploding when its head had gone. I would also check the crankshaft pulley. Mine got ruined when they changed the head on mine the first time, didn't drive the waterpump, overheated and cracked the head again. It goes eek eek eek when it's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsiddle
      Thanks Mate.
      I will blitz it on Sat, starting with taking the thermostat out. If that doesnt cure it ..... back to the drawing bd.

When you say the vicious (OK I cant smell prperly) do you mean the fan coupling???

john
      If you take the thermostat out, MattF will find out and will lecture you. You have been warned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        If you take the thermostat out, MattF will find out and will lecture you. You have been warned.
        'tis true, run while you still can http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...60&postcount=9
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Point taken

Point taken, but it is only to remove the stat from the equation, I am worried that the stat might be sticking closed or partially closed.

If the symptoms change then I shall know and will replace it with a new one, if not I shall still get a new one and replace it, but at least if the fault is cured I shall be happy when I part with my money.
          John

Comment

New Stat

Rather than run without a stat I put a new one in to day and did the 100 mile trip from Anglesea to Stoke. The temp stayed perfect until a rather long uphill run just east of Rhyl when it rose to almost red.

Reached the top and found water being forced out of the stat gasket, past the top hose and pouring out of the overflow/expansion tank. Obviously great pressure inside.

started the engine and the temp went back down, continued until Nantwich/Crewe when the heater went cold and the temp went up.

Again water from everywhere, released the rad cap (very slowly) and the lot shot out. After a cool down refilled and did the remaining 3 mile no problem. Strange thing is normally when all the water has been blown out and it is refilled there is usually a lot of bubbling and spitting, but not here. It seems it was just pure pressure not heat induced.

I would have sworn it was a head crack (Milners replacement middle of year) were it not for the time it took for things to blow. At least its not the stat, the viscus fan seems ok also. Will flush the Rad and system next (lots of rust came out with the water) and then I guess the head off.

Unless anyone got other ideas.
            John

Comment

Working...
            X