No announcement yet.

How To Clean Rear Heater Matrix Pipes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Clean Rear Heater Matrix Pipes!

Hi All,

My heater matrix pipes (thin metal ones from T junction below temp. sender) were TOTALLY blocked with **** all the way to the heater!

The pipes were actually "solid" with dirt!

After pondering for a long time I tried attaching a high pressure hose at both ends and tapping the pipes to try and loosen the crud.

2 hours later, nothing, still totally unmovable!

Then, I had a sudden flash of inspiration (these come to me from time to time!).

10 minutes later they were clean as a whistle!

Here's how I did it!

1. Get daughter's bicycle from shed!

2. Remove back brake cable!

3. Cut the lead nipple off one end!

4. Place brake cable in any power drill and tighten up so that cable is protruding like drill bit.

5. Feed cable into pipes (I started in the engine bay) with drill at slowest setting (gentle encouragement is needed to prevent cable from twisting).

6. Watch in awe as the cable eats it's way through the **** in the pipe, especially if the end of the cable is a bit frayed!

7. Repeat flushing!

8. Watch the lovely clean water gushing up through the pipes

9. Job done!

I'm not joking, it worked brilliant!

It literally eats through the slime and muck and because it is very strong and flexible it will follow the bends of the pipes beautifully!

The spinning action not only eats through the dirt but also helps the cable aroung the bends in the pipe!

Anyone with blocked pipes, give it a go!

Later!

Gary

Originally posted by hellmett
    Hi All,

My heater matrix pipes (thin metal ones from T junction below temp. sender) were TOTALLY blocked with **** all the way to the heater!

The pipes were actually "solid" with dirt!

After pondering for a long time I tried attaching a high pressure hose at both ends and tapping the pipes to try and loosen the crud.

2 hours later, nothing, still totally unmovable!

Then, I had a sudden flash of inspiration (these come to me from time to time!).

10 minutes later they were clean as a whistle!

Here's how I did it!

1. Get daughter's bicycle from shed!

2. Remove back brake cable!

3. Cut the lead nipple off one end!

4. Place brake cable in any power drill and tighten up so that cable is protruding like drill bit.

5. Feed cable into pipes (I started in the engine bay) with drill at slowest setting (gentle encouragement is needed to prevent cable from twisting).

6. Watch in awe as the cable eats it's way through the **** in the pipe, especially if the end of the cable is a bit frayed!

7. Repeat flushing!

9. Job done!

It literally eats through the slime and muck and because it is very strong and flexible it will follow the bends of the pipes beautifully!

The spinning action not only eats through the dirt but also helps the cable aroung the bends in the pipe!

Anyone with blocked pipes, give it a go!

Later!

Gary
    but where are these PIPEs you speack of

any pictures?
    [url="http://www.frappr.com/smurfowners"]Surf MAp[/url]

Comment

9. Job done!

10. Take daughter to hospital after she goes to play on her bike....................

Comment

Re

Daughter's bike was knackered to begin with!

The pipes go from a T Junction in the thermostat housing and run down and through the engine bay then under the vehicle to the rear heater matrix.

You will have to remove the air box to really appreciate where they are.

They are connected to the other pipes etc. with normal small rubber hoses.

Thusly,

THERMOSTAT HOUSING - RUBBER PIPES - LONG METAL PIPES - RUBBER PIPES - MATRIX

Disconnect the rubber pipes from both ends and you are left with quite substantial lengths of metal piping, the bore of which is very small.

Little wonder it becomes blocked considering some of the clay like muck I seen coming out of the cooling system!

If anyone is sincerely interested and thinks they might have blocked pipes I can get a few pictures up.

Later!

Gary

Comment

Brake cable, now , that is a good idea!!!!

Derek

Comment

Working...
          X