wobbling surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobbling surf

hi,all.just found this site,and its comforting to be part of such a knowledgable family.i'm now two weeks into surf ownership,and already on shankses pony!! i had my really really low mileage 3.0 td 94 checked out by the 4th emergency service,who all bar a slight steering pull to the right,gave it a thumbs up.having bieng reassured by the dealer that the tracking had been sorted by a tyre turn around(the fronts showed inner wear),i took delivery.there was a slight pull still,but nothing heavy,until yesterday.first i noticed a light purr from the nearside front,which soon became a rumble.then the beast started to sway left and right,i thought maybe the wheel was left untightned,but all was well.the waddle was more pronounced at low speed,but was getting worse.i rang the dealer,who thinks maybe a wheel bearing has worn.i'm no expert,but can they get so bad so fast? did the right pull wear it faster,and is it usual on a vehicle that proclaims to have done about 2 yrs uk average mileage? having said that,i feel like a king at the helm of this baby.i've been offered sex in exchange for a drive(i declined) and i think i'm in love with it!having browsed over the mech stuff,i've found something that now concearns me.i have a pin prick leak at the top of my radiator,not enough to lose any quantity of fluid,more a wet spot,which comes back after wiping it.is this a new rad job,or does it point to more serious underlying probs?anyway,i think i'm starting to missuse the site by babbling,talk to you soon.

I can answer a couple of the questions. The one on refusing sex for a drive I can not comprehend - you must be in love

It is possible that the wheel bearing was loose (They were on mine) and the driving that you have done while it was loose has knackered it. They either drone for ever or they fall to bits in my experience. Make sure that they check all of the bearings.

As for the rad it depends on the level of risk that you want to take. Try radweld first. If that don't work then get it repaired (Find somebody who you know is good or will guarantee it) or replace the rad for total peace of mind.

Rich.

Originally posted by mickey
    hi,all.just found this site,and its comforting to be part of such a knowledgable family.i'm now two weeks into surf ownership,and already on shankses pony!! i had my really really low mileage 3.0 td 94 checked out by the 4th emergency service,who all bar a slight steering pull to the right,gave it a thumbs up.having bieng reassured by the dealer that the tracking had been sorted by a tyre turn around(the fronts showed inner wear),i took delivery.there was a slight pull still,but nothing heavy,until yesterday.first i noticed a light purr from the nearside front,which soon became a rumble.then the beast started to sway left and right,i thought maybe the wheel was left untightned,but all was well.the waddle was more pronounced at low speed,but was getting worse.i rang the dealer,who thinks maybe a wheel bearing has worn.i'm no expert,but can they get so bad so fast? did the right pull wear it faster,and is it usual on a vehicle that proclaims to have done about 2 yrs uk average mileage? having said that,i feel like a king at the helm of this baby.i've been offered sex in exchange for a drive(i declined) and i think i'm in love with it!having browsed over the mech stuff,i've found something that now concearns me.i have a pin prick leak at the top of my radiator,not enough to lose any quantity of fluid,more a wet spot,which comes back after wiping it.is this a new rad job,or does it point to more serious underlying probs?anyway,i think i'm starting to missuse the site by babbling,talk to you soon.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Jap tyres often seem a shoddy lot, plus if it sat for a while before being imported the tyres could be shot, rotating tyres is only recommended if doing it regularly, doing it after putting lots of miles on a tyre is not normally recommended.

If the old front is worn on the inside and its pulling to one side, your aligment is out, swapping tyres won't help, just wears out another tyre.

I'd get the tyres balenced to see if the are delamiating or out of round, and the alignment checked and go from there.

good luck.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Jap tyres often seem a shoddy lot, plus if it sat for a while before being imported the tyres could be shot, rotating tyres is only recommended if doing it regularly, doing it after putting lots of miles on a tyre is not normally recommended.

If the old front is worn on the inside and its pulling to one side, your aligment is out, swapping tyres won't help, just wears out another tyre.

I'd get the tyres balenced to see if the are delamiating or out of round, and the alignment checked and go from there.

good luck.
        I'll agree with Tony there also front wheel bearings aint to difficult to do. As for the weeping rad unless it rearly bothers you dont worry to much just keep doing your oil and coolant checks untill you satisfy yourself its ok. Mine has been weeping for a while with no after effects and she is 15 years old.

sumo.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Working...
        X