Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tickling The Front Wheels?

Hi All,

Thought I'd ask as I have been on a roll recently!

On my two front wheel hubs there is a little circular switch that turns around about 180 degrees and has 2 settings, LOCK and SOMETHING ELSE (I forget this one as I have a migraine!).

What is this for and what does it do?

The previous owner told me if I was ever going "off roading" to turn them to LOCK as it locks the diffs?

Haven't a clue what the hell he was telling me as I thought you put it into 4WD via the sticks etc.

I always thought that on the surf the diffs were locked anyway!

Can anyone explain, please!

Gary

They are manual hubs, it disconnects your front drive shafts, surfs don't have them from new, someone must have retrofitted them to save a little more MPG, or if you have CV/Diff/hub problems!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Re

So, if they were for genuine reasons and not because of problems, how does one use them in conjunction with the sticks!

I presume that even if I put it into 4WD via the button it is not in 4WD really until I turn the hubs to LOCK, is this so?

Gary

A short explanation will be great of how to use these!

Comment

They replace the 'drive plates' a solid link between the front drive shafts and the front wheel hub.

On pickups that don't have ADD (Automatic Disconnecting Diff) its stops all the front drive train rotating all the time.

Yeah, if they are fitted, you won't get 4wd till you lock the hubs, or lock them before you go wheelin' then everything will be back to normal and you can press the button and it'll be in 4wd.

People fit them for verious reasons, it stops the front shafts/CV's and diff rotating, so saving drag therefore MPG, or if you have loose hub bushes or knackered CV's its cheaper than replacing them if your not going to use 4wd.

We fitted them to our trucks so you can lift the front torsion bars higher, which makes the CV's run at a higher angle, so if you have freewheeling hubs the CV's don't spin all the time and it does wear the CV's or rips boots because of the extreme angle of the CV's after cranking the torsion bars up.

The downside of them is obviously you need to get out to enguage 4wd anytime your not expecting it, as the Surf 'shift-on-the-fly' system doesn't work.

Overall, they are a good idea IMHO.

Comment

Re

Cheers Tony!

BTW, are you a pukka mechanic or a highly educated, mechanically gifted amateur!

Seems to me you know a hell of a lot more than some of the so called mechanics I seem to meet!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
            Cheers Tony!

BTW, are you a pukka mechanic or a highly educated, mechanically gifted amateur!

Seems to me you know a hell of a lot more than some of the so called mechanics I seem to meet!

Gary
            OK, seeing as the other thread is going on, lets see if I can work it out quickly..
            Years of finding out how things work, (mostly the hard way! ) and refusing to listen to those who say it can't be done

Got bored with school halfway through 6th form, so got a YTS job at a local boatyard and they sent me to collage for BTEC and City & Guilds in motor vehicle engineering, 3 years Marine Engineering for a boatyard on the river Lea, 12 years Mantenance Engineer (and truck driver) for a Printers and Bookbinders, 1 year CCTV inspection and remote repair of sewer and underground pipes and finally, last year as 4x4Toys, repairers and abusers of Toyotas and Surfs in particular.

Since passing my driving test (Jeeze, 20 years now!!!!) I've had Toyota pickup/Surfs/4Runners of some form or another so have broken and fixed most things that Mr Toyoda put a Hilux badge on. Plus having been cruising 4x4 sites mostly in the US for donkeys years you learn a lot about altering things for the purpose you use the car for.

So, highly educated, mechanically gifted amateur, or just a smartass? you decide!!

Hows that for a mini CV!

Tony.

Comment

Re

1. Newly qualified Doctor fresh out of medical school with 10 degrees and 87 A Levels, just in it for the fame, money and ability to nail nurses!

2. 25 years as a Practicing Doctor with the relevant formal qualifications and 1000's of successful operations under my belt, but, more importantly, a genuine interest in humanity!

Who would you have operate on you?

I know who would be doing my vasectomy!!!!!!!

Gary

Comment

, but, more importantly, a genuine interest in humanity!

Gary
                Thats the important bit, for me playing with 4x4's is a genuine interest, I get a good feeling out of sorting a truck out, and making it work properly. More so than getting one truck out the door and the next in.

That why Mavericks truck lived here for about 4 months, but it least it left working! (even if he did have to buy a beater off ebay to use in the mean time!!)

Comment

Cheers Tony!

I thought it was mainly 80% BS and 20% luck !!
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                    Damn, busted!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      And when he's stuck He asks Linda.....

Comment

Working...
                      X