V8 Vs Supra engine conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Vs Supra engine conversion

I'm looking at an Engine conversions for my 2.4 surf. Recently the head cracked and now i'm left with a big bill. I can put a new head on, but as my truck has had a considerable lift and is running on (15/35-15Lt Super swamper/bogger tyres, i feel the 2.4 lacks in power when off roading.

I've looked at severial different engine conversions, but i can't deciede between either a v8 or a supra engine. My truck is an automatic, but i want to covert it to a manual. If i was to go down the route of fitting a rover v8 what gear box and transfer box would it mate best with??

As for the supra conversion, i've looked at various web pages www.supracharged.com suggested by people in my other "Thread" and although the majority of the parts i need are available from a doner car. What i don't understand is will a manual gear box from a surf bolt straight to a 7mgte Motor and if so would it be suitable for off roading??

Whats the best a V8 or a Supra (7M GTE)????

If you can find one of these really cheap, it will fit the Surf, and you'll have the best of both, A V8/Toyota.
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/L...exus1stGen.htm

Comment

Most Surf maual boxes are R151's, which needs a custom bellhousing made, The yanks get a lot of A340 boxes which appently fits a Supra bellhousing.

There is nothing wrong with a manual offroad, it fact they are usually better for engine braking, but you can fill the clutch up with silt or burn it out if not driven properly.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Most Surf maual boxes are R151's, which needs a custom bellhousing made, The yanks get a lot A340 5 speeds which appently fits a Supra bellhousing.

There is nothing wrong with a manual offroad, it fact they are usually better for engine braking, but you can fill the clutch up with silt or burn it out if not driven properly.

If i was to get a R151 gearbox from a surf, will a Custom Bell housing be needed for both a Rover V8 or a supra (7M GTE) conversion??
        Last edited by PBRADY; 9 February 2006, 14:09.

Comment

Here you go, off the shelf conversion kits.

http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/toyota.html

Still need a manual box tho.

Still considering a V8 myself, just trying to convince myself that V8 is better on power but lacks wading (unless your careful), Deisel I can submerge it! Which I seem to do with regularity!
          I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Just got one of them conversion kits rover v8 to 2.4 g/box hay shoud be with me at the weekend this should be good got to make some pipes to come out the sides under the doors or maybe the back mmmmm......
            Nice V8

Comment

Working...
            X