wheel bearing type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing type

I've been digging about under the bonnet for the last couple of days for a noise I can't identify. After a process of elimination I think it may have something to do with the wheel bearings. I jacked it up this evening and there's a little room in the front wheel bearings. Can anyone tell me if the bearings are of a tapered or a ball race type? I'm hoping tapered so I can just tighten them up a bit just to get a few more miles.

Yes they are TAPERED
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

It's hammer time!!

Comment

Originally posted by den 22
        It's hammer time!!
        Thats probably your best way to tighten them up unless you have a socket around 54mm i think. Hammer & Chisel works for me TOYOTA use this method as well.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

when Tony serviced my truck last weekend he noted a little play in one of my rear bearings but said that they couldn't be adjusted/tightened... hence the replacement. to be honest I'd rather replace anyway, but it would be good to get some clarification here...
          I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Rear bearings are just normal shaped er.....bearings, so cannot be adjusted. Front wheel bearings are fitted to a tapered shaft, so can be regreased and re-tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Rear bearings are just normal shaped er.....bearings, so cannot be adjusted. Front wheel bearings are fitted to a tapered shaft, so can be regreased and re-tightened.
              haha... nice one, that just about sums it up

/me makes notes
              I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                Hammer & Chisel works for me TOYOTA use this method as well.
                I say buy a 54mm socket. A hammer and chisel works but what if you take a piece of metal out of the nut and this lodges in the bearing ?? I'll let you decide and leave the choice of tool to you.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                  I say buy a 54mm socket. A hammer and chisel works but what if you take a piece of metal out of the nut and this lodges in the bearing ?? I'll let you decide and leave the choice of tool to you.

Nev
                  hehe, only if your a caveman, carefully hammer a notch into the nut with the chisel and you can tighten it up sufficantly. But obviously, a socket is a much more professional way to do it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X