Glo-Plug problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glo-Plug problem

Guys, Ive a problem on my 2.4 deisel Hi-Lux Pick up, in that one of the glo plugs has historically tried to be removed, and the top of the plig has detatched form the main body, which is still tight inside the head. Starting from cold is a pain in the proverbial on these cold mornings, althoughsince chanching the other three, its a tad easier.

I have considered milling out the centre of the glo plug, but i think this is steel, so will take some removing, or the other option I have considered is an Eazy-out, tucked in between the core and the outer shell.

Any considerations please?????

Many thanks. Rich

PS. The axle problem resolved, sailed through the mot thanks for all the input.

Originally posted by Rich J.A.W.
    Guys, Ive a problem on my 2.4 deisel Hi-Lux Pick up, in that one of the glo plugs has historically tried to be removed, and the top of the plig has detatched form the main body, which is still tight inside the head. Starting from cold is a pain in the proverbial on these cold mornings, althoughsince chanching the other three, its a tad easier.

I have considered milling out the centre of the glo plug, but i think this is steel, so will take some removing, or the other option I have considered is an Eazy-out, tucked in between the core and the outer shell.

Any considerations please?????

Many thanks. Rich

PS. The axle problem resolved, sailed through the mot thanks for all the input.
    Hi,
    Ref the heater (glow) plug, it has to come out....Options, all ugly....drill the centre of the remaining plug VERY exactly just short of the length of the threaded portion and OF COURSE smaller so as NOT to damage thread, then stud extract AFTER soaking thread overnight with Plus Gas or AC 90 or Joe Tar... OR heat up engine and whilst still hot spray some arctic on the glow plug then easy out whilst differential in temps/ expansion...either way hope you dont get any broken bits inside head area...

peter

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
      Hi,
      Ref the heater (glow) plug, it has to come out....Options, all ugly....drill the centre of the remaining plug VERY exactly just short of the length of the threaded portion and OF COURSE smaller so as NOT to damage thread, then stud extract AFTER soaking thread overnight with Plus Gas or AC 90 or Joe Tar... OR heat up engine and whilst still hot spray some arctic on the glow plug then easy out whilst differential in temps/ expansion...either way hope you dont get any broken bits inside head area...

peter
      if you struggle with the easy out slipping, find a torx bit that is on a decent 1/2" drive socket, beat it into the hole you drilled into the plug, thentry to undo it, i used an impact gun on it but you may not have 1. it is also best to heat it first.

john
      http://www.higgsengineering.co.uk
      [url]www.higgsengineering.co.uk/carbonfibre.htm[/url]

Comment

Can I drill out the core of the glo plug?? I have considered twisting the core with grips when cold, to try and leave as much width of the outer wall of the plug insitu, before easing out. I am sure that once an easy out is tucked inside, the only way for the plug is upwards and outwards!!!! Here's hoping!

Re. warming the engine, will she start on three cylinders?? Is she currently starting on three cylinders with this problem, sorry lads I'm not a mechanic!!!!

Thanks for prompt replies.

Rich

Comment

Your not gonna have much metal to play with, the plugs are hollow to leave room for the heater wire. There is a bit of body to dig an extractor into, but not much.

If it was tight enough the break the hex off the plug, its must be jammed in there pretty tight.

I'd not try to hard to get it loose, unless your sure you can get it out. If you end up breaking the seal to the combustion chamber but still can't get it out, the truck won't run very well, far better to just have 3 working glowplugs and a heathy motor that just take a little more starting if its cold.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i'd get a cat to sleep on the engine overnight and keep it warm!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cheers sluggie!!!
              No seriously, I twisted off the top of the core, drilled down into the centre of the plug, and inserted an easy out. The tip of the tool fitted exactly into a socket extender, and an 11mm ring spanner fitted directly onto this. After a good soaking with a good release agent, and a warm block, I began to tease out the plug. Then disaster struck!!!!! I manged to turn the glo plug about a half a turn, hearing it creak inside the head, then the easy out sheared!!!! I'll try and drill out the easy out, get a new one, then replace the new bit and try again.

Is it an easier option to remove the head......its not a turbo, and do the job on a bench?? Ive never removed a cylinder head before but am willing to have a blast at it. I have a tiny tiny oil leak from the front section of the head gasket, so maybe I should do the head removal. What is a good price for head gasket kits lads?? Questions questions questions......

Cheers in anticipation.........Rich

Comment

Cheers sluggie!!!
                No seriously, I twisted off the top of the core, drilled down into the centre of the plug, and inserted an easy out. The tip of the tool fitted exactly into a socket extender, and an 11mm ring spanner fitted directly onto this. After a good soaking with a good release agent, and a warm block, I began to tease out the plug. Then disaster struck!!!!! I manged to turn the glo plug about a half a turn, hearing it creak inside the head, then the easy out sheared!!!! I'll try and drill out the easy out, get a new one, then replace the new bit and try again.

Is it an easier option to remove the head......its not a turbo, and do the job on a bench?? Ive never removed a cylinder head before but am willing to have a blast at it. I have a tiny tiny oil leak from the front section of the head gasket, so maybe I should do the head removal. What is a good price for head gasket kits lads?? Questions questions questions......

Cheers in anticipation.........Rich

Also, has there been a step by step on head removal??

Comment

I'll try and drill out the easy out, get a new one, then replace the new bit and try again.
                  Good luck, those things are fawking hard!!!!! I'd leave it in there and get a cat.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

glow plug problem

Hi again,
                    Ok given your more recent info since I responded, you must consider removing the cylinder head at some early stage - like whenever starting becomes difficult so its a MUST....BTW even down to two operational heater plugs you will still prolly get a start unless its big minus temperatures and your on non conventional fuel that is ? Why do I say this ? I believe there is a danger of you getting crud at best swarf at worst into the combustion chamber and then elswhere in the engine / oilways eventually....this would be bad newsIMHO

peter

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
                      Hi again,
                      Ok given your more recent info since I responded, you must consider removing the cylinder head at some early stage - like whenever starting becomes difficult so its a MUST....BTW even down to two operational heater plugs you will still prolly get a start unless its big minus temperatures and your on non conventional fuel that is ? Why do I say this ? I believe there is a danger of you getting crud at best swarf at worst into the combustion chamber and then elswhere in the engine / oilways eventually....this would be bad newsIMHO

peter
                      A diesel will start without any glowplugs working, will just take a lot of cranking. if you have 3 that are in good order don't even attempt it as the **** yopu will get in the pot if you break thru the plug body will ruin the bore and valves/seats. just drive forever on 3.
                      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Well.............this morning was a minus two down here.....blow me down, she started first crank! Maybe the old glo plug was completely hollow, giving bad compression, then with the easy out jammed in there, compression has increased??? Anyways......she starts perfect for now, so I'll research a head off and get a gasket set, do the job properly...........or maybe get a cat as Sluggie suggests!!!!!

Rich

Comment

Working...
                        X