SVA Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVA Help please

Hello, just bought a 3.0 ssr-x from tilbury auctions & its a july`94 so I need to SVA it.
    I have done the following
    Changed speedo face
    Changed tyres for H rated (were Q)
    Added a fog light
    Removed front towing eyes
    Does anyone know of anything else its likely to fail on?
    I dont fancy making it into a camper!
    Thanks
    PS I have found this forum fantastically helpful
    I`ll let you know if it passes its SVA

Hi Gary,
    Welcome aboard to the Surf owners Loony Bin.

SVA:
    If you have spare tyre on back door remove it & all the fittings, put them back afterwards.

If you have darkened windows thay may fail you, must have at least Drivers/front pass & rear window reasonably clear = don't ask what reasonbly clear means, depends on the tester.

If i can rememeber anything else will let you know, i'm sure others will post relies also.

Sewerat Bob
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
      Hi Gary,
      Welcome aboard to the Surf owners Loony Bin.

SVA:
      If you have spare tyre on back door remove it & all the fittings, put them back afterwards.

If you have darkened windows thay may fail you, must have at least Drivers/front pass & rear window reasonably clear = don't ask what reasonbly clear means, depends on the tester.

If i can rememeber anything else will let you know, i'm sure others will post relies also.

Sewerat Bob
      Some have had to remove the side step/runners as well, make sure your fog light switch is an illuminated one.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Here's an overview document you may find useful.

Rich.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...pdf_506874.pdf
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Gary,
          Remembered a couple of other things last night which might help, tahts in addition to the above advice from other posts.

1- If you do have a rear door spare wheel, make sure that the holes left by the bracket are filled in, we use plastic clips from B & Q as a temporary method, easy to remove after the SVA. Although some inspectors don't seem to worry to much if the holes are 8 / 10 mm in dia.

2- Go & have a talk with the local inspector at the test station, ask him for a bit of guidance, on what you will be doing & does he think
          ( without seeing the Surf) that will be ok, i did that the first time i had a Surf SVA'd, & he offered some good advice, since then generally i've not had a problem, odd failure has happened, so made sure next time it was covered, one problem area which we have had is wiring not being in conduit / looms etc which was lying under carpet, that was a no no. So go see the main man, ask for help, they will give it, but without commitment, which is ok.

3- Lastly, you are only allowed by law one journey with a unregistered car, that is supposed to be to the test centre, not from port of importation etc to your home / garage & then onto test centre, we all do it though.
          Also if you do fail the first SVA, ask if its alright to drive it back to the centre, i have been refused & ok'd in the past.

Hope that above helps a little more.

Sewerat Bob
          [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Sva

When you changed the speedo have you used a gps to make sure you have the correct speed if when they test it and your over on the readings they will fail it. EG there reading 30mph and you speedo is 34mph Fail.
            there reading 30mph yours 28mph pass.
            I put one through a couple of weeks ago there lots of other small things.

if you wont to give me a call on 0151 353 1246.
            I will try point you the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetluge Chris
              When you changed the speedo have you used a gps to make sure you have the correct speed if when they test it and your over on the readings they will fail it. EG there reading 30mph and you speedo is 34mph Fail.
              there reading 30mph yours 28mph pass.
              I put one through a couple of weeks ago there lots of other small things.

if you wont to give me a call on 0151 353 1246.
              I will try point you the right direction.
              It's interesting on mine that measured with a GPS my speedo reads over by 10% i.e. when it shows 77mph I am doing 70 when it shows 44 I am doing 40 etc.

I presume that the speedo may be calibrated for the optional 31 inch tyres. Mine is running 265 70 15s which work out at about 29.6 inch diameter. It think with the 31s it should read OK.

Cheers

Comment

sva

Its ok to read less this means your not speeding.

Comment

SVA fun and games

On my recent expeditioninto the world of SVA. These things were mentioned.

Wing mirrors swing backwards and forwards
                  Wiring for Fog Lamp had to be through grommits when going through bodywork and wiring zippy tied where possible.
                  Fog light must be at least 225mm from the ground and no higher than a metre.
                  NO SHARP EDGES anywhere, check the edges of the plastic wind covers.
                  I have heard a tale of a SVA failure due to a sharp edge on the stereo, but this may be just a tale.
                  If your using a model report make sure its in your name.

Apparantly a lot depends on the mood of the inspector, i.e whether he got laid last night etc.. I've been that arriving with a friendly smile and bearing an additional doughnut or twos helps.

Hope this helps

Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I let you know how I get on, though I dont expect to get the test through before christmas.
                    Mark, Im a bit further down the A13 than you, nearer southend
                    Cheers
                    Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X