cone washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cone washers

didn't i read somewhere '' beware that the cone washers don't fly off round the workshop ....'' when checking the front wheel bearings . yeah right , mine seem rusted in place x5 . any advice on how to free them up ? have sprayed liberally with WD40 and used a long socket to shock them with a hammer but only one moves and can be removed . will try again tomorrow but is there a technique ? after all , i can't tackle tightening the bearings if i can't remove the end cover . thanks .

Shocking them to get them loose is the only tried and tested method. You just need to be patient They will come loose eventually.

Mike
    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Tie a rag over the hub so that it covers all the washers, then tap with a hammer all around the circumfrence of the edge of the hub and eventually it will come away and all your washers will be held in the rag.

Comment

Yep keep hitting the hub all round, they will move eventually. When I first did mine seemed like an age and I thought they ain't never coming off. Then bingo they all started to move, well flew off actually, so was more careful with the others.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

As the above, hit with hammer and keep hitting

Comment

The best (and much more subtle way than bashsing at the hub with a hammer....) is to make a cone washer removal tool.

1) Take a small screwdriver and grind the end into a fine tapering square/ long tapering pyramid point. The square taper must be fine enough to go well into the slot of the cone washer. The metal must be a good, hard metal so it lasts more than cone washer! Ideally the screwdriver should be the through-the-handle type so you can tap it lightly with a hammer.

2) Insert the point into the slot of the cone washer (previously soaked in WD40). Tap the tool lightly with a hammer and the cone washer will pop with no fuss.

How it works- forcing the cone appart from within makes them jump out of the hole. Beware of flying cone washers!

Edit- Oh, and when replacing the cone washers at the end of the job- make sure the slot faces outwards to make the easier for the next guy- it might might be YOU again!
            Last edited by laser_jock@work; 6 January 2006, 19:04.

Comment

Leave the dome nuts loosely on the studs, that takes care of the cones flying off. Get a couple of cap head screws (8mm I think) and screw them into the jacking holes on the flange, tighten them up to apply a load to remove the flange and push against the cones (dont go daft) Then get your 4lb club hammer and a nice hefty drift (3/4" steel bar about 10" long should do it) Clout the flange on its face (not the edge) next to each cone. A couple of good belts near each cone should shock them all loose.
              [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X