No announcement yet.

wheel noise..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, just wiping the mud from my knees..best jeans again due to an impulse wheel removal...you ever get one of those urges??

anyway, got the rear wheel off first, surprisingly easy with the copper slip..and thought, "yeah, thats a brake drum"..anyway, gave the chassis a wipe with a rag, just to make it look as if i had an objective, then put the wheel back on..

then the front..hmm, "disc looks very shiny" methinks, could almost see my face in it, and yes, the pad has all but worn away and the "caliper" is rubbing against the disc..put the wheel back on, and the wheel turns relitively freely.

i'm assuming the clicking..(quarter inch rounded pebble caught in the tread of a "doc martin" workboot walking across a newly polished supermarket floor) sound will still be there, as i've done nowt remedial..but the "s****ing" is now confirmed as the pad, or lack of..

i'll take it to the garage..am i likely to need anything other than new pads? ie, will the guys at the workshop be able to free the brake off, or will something thats stuck, need replacing?

oh, before i forget..aftermarket alloys with 8 offset and 31, 10 50's...what spacers am i looking at for cosmetic purposes..and yeah, its a widebody..might as well do the lot..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
      ok, just wiping the mud from my knees..best jeans again due to an impulse wheel removal...you ever get one of those urges??

anyway, got the rear wheel off first, surprisingly easy with the copper slip..and thought, "yeah, thats a brake drum"..anyway, gave the chassis a wipe with a rag, just to make it look as if i had an objective, then put the wheel back on..

then the front..hmm, "disc looks very shiny" methinks, could almost see my face in it, and yes, the pad has all but worn away and the "caliper" is rubbing against the disc..put the wheel back on, and the wheel turns relitively freely.

i'm assuming the clicking..(quarter inch rounded pebble caught in the tread of a "doc martin" workboot walking across a newly polished supermarket floor) sound will still be there, as i've done nowt remedial..but the "s****ing" is now confirmed as the pad, or lack of..

i'll take it to the garage..am i likely to need anything other than new pads? ie, will the guys at the workshop be able to free the brake off, or will something thats stuck, need replacing?

oh, before i forget..aftermarket alloys with 8 offset and 31, 10 50's...what spacers am i looking at for cosmetic purposes..and yeah, its a widebody..might as well do the lot..
      they should be able to free the brake at the garage fairly easily.. Check to see if you've scored the disk.. if you run the pads too low nd the caliper is rubbing the disks for too long it can score them emaning that your new pads will be less effective and wear out easily.

I did this a couple of months ago and learnt from my mistake!! The other mistake i made was purchasing the first set of pads (the ones i buggered up) from toyota (about £65!) the next set i got from milners off orad for about £20.

Consider doing the pads and disks youself.. its not too bad a job.. I'd never done mine before and it only took about two hours (and a couple of phone calls to Marky!)

?Could do it in about an hour now (accounting for beer and cigarette time!)

Joe112
      Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        Well is it solved yet, we need to know

well, ermmm, its gone..the clicking that is, not the surf..overtook a lorry, got a bit leery with the kickdown, nearly on the redline.....and it ain't clicked since..probably not related, and total co-incidence..that was three weeks ago..anyway..its gone..

brakes need doing, as the pad wear thingy, or slight rubbing is still there..but it'll wait till i get chance to book in with tony for a full monty service.

Comment

Working...
        X