Hndbrake stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hndbrake stuck?

OK, I've searched and it looks like I may have found a new problem (I like to challenge the Surf knowledge base!).

Got in the truck this morning, started her up, got out and s****ed all the ice off, got back in and...

..tried to release the handbrake.

When I twist it to release, it doesn't pull back at all - usually it takes very little effort (none?) to go back in. So, I push it back in and it feels odd. Go to pull away (reverse) and it's definately still on.

Now, normally with it on I can pull away, but this time I'm going nowhere. Give it a bit more power - it's gonna stall. Try applying and releasing handbrake a few more times, same thing.

I've had a sticking handbrake before (old Sierra) and that would always free up if I tried to move. Tried low range and it moved but sounded nasty, so gave up on that idea.

I was off roading yesterday and it all got rather wet, it was -6°C up here last night and the underside is looking very pretty with lots of icicles!

An ideas? Could the brakes just be frozen on? Could I have damaged anything trying to force it to move in 4WD?

Smeg.
    (not happy as I was up at 6:30 and going to be on time for an airsoft game for once!)

Originally posted by Smeg
    I was off roading yesterday and it all got rather wet, it was -6°C up here last night and the underside is looking very pretty with lots of icicles!
    Think you'll find the answer is here!

get some heat on the drums and cables.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

dont try and drive to free the frozen drums!!!

my brother did last year on his peugout 306, brake shoe torn off mounts in process, as it tried to stay stuck to drum!
      and brake lines damaged internally - the piston had popped out in drum and leaked brake fluid

he didnt know this until brakes failed as he was driving along!
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Think you'll find the answer is here!

get some heat on the drums and cables.
        1st prize goes to TonyN! If you ever find yourself in Glyn Ceiriog I owe you several pints!

I was working on that concept already - cleaning frozen mud off the underside is real nasty work! Snapped loads of it off then set about the drums and cables with a bucket of hot water and a sponge (it's parked too far away from the house and across a road to consider any electrical heating tools reaching!).

Gravity plays nasty tricks when you are sponging hot water on upsidedown!

Thanks for the advice!

Smeg.

Comment

Working...
        X