Rear Diffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Diffs

Hi, Does anyone know if Surf and UK pickup rear diffs are interchangable?

Yeah, a pickup front or rear diff will fit. Check your gearing is the same though or 4wd will be no good

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Yeah, a pickup front or rear diff will fit. Check your gearing is the same though or 4wd will be no good

Thanks Tony, any idea what ratio's i've got to choose from? I belive colour codes are used on pickup's (blue or yellow) are surf's the same?

Comment

Yeah, but you also have the axle code stamped on the data plate on the bulkhead.

Comment

Yeah, but you also have the axle code stamped on the data plate on the bulkhead.
          Thanx's again Tony. The axel code is good if you def know your diffs aint been changed (code:A05B). Fraid i'm not sure about that. I've tried to work out the ratio and think it's a 4.56:1. Does this sound right? Anyone got one?, Must be a good one as i've already got a noisy one. The one that's fitted is a LSD but a normal open diff will do

Comment

ah, you have a 3rd gen. According to charts A05B is a 7 1/2" (?? should be 8", but this has been wrong on other trucks), 3.15 gears and 4 pinion.

The 4 pinion could hard to find, most pickups are 2 pinion which isn't as strong.

You may need to find a used 93-on Surf diff to get a 4 pinion diff.

3.15 is very high, not seen gears as tall as that in a 2nd gen Surf of pickup.

Comment

ah, you have a 3rd gen. According to charts A05B is a 7 1/2" (?? should be 8", but this has been wrong on other trucks), 3.15 gears and 4 pinion.

The 4 pinion could hard to find, most pickups are 2 pinion which isn't as strong.

You may need to find a used 93-on Surf diff to get a 4 pinion diff.

3.15 is very high, not seen gears as tall as that in a 2nd gen Surf of pickup.

Thanx again Tony, I did not make myself very clear, my fault. I'm looking for a diff for my UK double cab pickup. That code is from the pickup. The diffs on my surf are fine. I'm looking for a surf diff (maybe) to stick in my pickup.

Comment

OK, just been out in the sub zero tempretures under my truk checking ratio's. The diff is definatly a 4.3:1 (so is the front, so thats good). What i need now is imformation on the size. How can i tell if it's 7" or 8". Please dont tell me i need to drop it out (not in this weather)

Comment

All rear diffs and solid front axle diffs are 8" front. IFS front diffs are 7 1/2"

What year is the pickup?

Comment

It's a 99 Tony. IFS and solid rear. So does this mean that my rear diff is 8"?
                    Looks like i'm looking for a 4.3:1 8" diff. Are there any issues with the amount of splines on the shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by oily
                      It's a 99 Tony. IFS and solid rear. So does this mean that my rear diff is 8"?
                      Looks like i'm looking for a 4.3:1 8" diff. Are there any issues with the amount of splines on the shafts?
                      Don't think so, I'm not that up on really new pickups, but it should be the same.

The yanks got an uprated diff for late model bigger trucks, the easiest way to spot it is the diff bolts, the old 8" diff has 12mm bolts holding it in, the bigger diffs have 14mm bolts.

Comment

Tony, are you talking about the ring of studs that hold the diff into the axel case? if so, are you talking about spanner size (12mm/14mm)? cus my studs are only about 8mm but the nuts are about 12mm. is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by oily
                          Tony, are you talking about the ring of studs that hold the diff into the axel case? if so, are you talking about spanner size (12mm/14mm)? cus my studs are only about 8mm but the nuts are about 12mm. is this right?
                          Yeah, thats right. Sounds like you have a bog standard 8" diff.

Comment

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking. OK has anyone got a GOOD (No whining/knocks/bangs/rattles etc.) 4.3:1 8" diff they would like to find a new home for with the right amount of beer tokens changing hands?. Bear in mind that if it's 3 billion miles away from North Worcestershire, it needs to be postable.
                            Thanks for your help Tony. Top Guy

Comment

Just for information, I've now pulled the diff and despite the vin code etc. it's a limited slip and it is 4.3:1 ratio so the lesson is dont trust the codes on later toyots. very confusing.
                              Thanks for all your help and i think i'm half way to getting it sorted.

Comment

Working...
                              X