2.4 versus 3.0l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 versus 3.0l

Hi everyone, wanna buy a Surf as loved the look of them for ages. I read that there was a head problem on the 2.4 version that requires an uprated head. Whats the story with that then? There seems to be a lot of good 2.4's available but is it worth spending the extra cash on a 3.0l? Are they a lot quicker/ torquier? Cheers All. Steve Edwards

Originally posted by Statler
    Hi everyone, wanna buy a Surf as loved the look of them for ages. I read that there was a head problem on the 2.4 version that requires an uprated head. Whats the story with that then? There seems to be a lot of good 2.4's available but is it worth spending the extra cash on a 3.0l? Are they a lot quicker/ torquier? Cheers All. Steve Edwards
    if you can afford the 3.0L then go for one of those, its not to say you wont have and overheating problems with that as all cars will suffer with it at some point if not looked after. do a search on head probs or over heating and all will be revealed, if you do go for the 2.4L then make sure its got the new head fitted and all should be ok.......
    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

but is it worth spending the extra cash on a 3.0l? Are they a lot quicker/ torquier? Cheers All. Steve Edwards [/QUOTE]

yup
      yup
      & yup
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

The 3.0L has more torque, about the same fuel consumption (talking 2nd Gen here) and is probably a bit faster given the extra pulling power of the 3.0L engine but neither of them are exactly fast given that you have near 2 tons of metal to haul around.

My 3.0L will happily cruise at 80+ on the M-ways (overseas obviously) without any problems and could probably top 100 but I don't have the cojohnes to try that (nor the inexhausable supply of cash to feed a fuel tank that would empty faster than a burning Hertfordshire fuel depot at that speed).

The 2.4L does have problems with the heads on some vehicles but if you are on a budget then look at some of the cars in the for sale section on here. POPS has a good one for sale, with a new head I believe, so you could get yourself a reliable car for reasonable money. A similar aged / mileage 3.0L is going to be anything up to £1500 dearer than a 2.4L but in the end it's up to you and why you want one.

If it's for towing, then go for the 3.0L as it has much better pulling power but if it's for general motoring and off-road use them the 2.4L will fit the bill.
        Mike G

Comment

3.0 all the way - I have had both and can safely say the 3.0 is in a different league - a much better drive on and off road.
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Great, cheers guys. Kinda thought the 3.0l would be the one to go for.

Comment

Working...
            X