Engine bay which bearings to lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine bay which bearings to lube?

After recently sitting bonnet deep in silty water for half an hour I've got some rough sounds coming from something driven off the belts when the engine is running Thats the reason taken care of then but how do i figure out what is making the noise? I'm wondering if i concentrate on one at a time and spray lots of WD40 at it might the sound change give me an idea of which one to pull apart and lube. Any danger in that? Hold on. What am i saying Can someone give me a rough idea of all lubable under bonnet moving parts please, I'm going to have to take the lot apart aren't i

The one good thing.... This is going to be the most thoroughly serviced surf imaginable
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Could be the bearing on the alternator behind the pulley. Spray a load of WD40 behind there with the engine running.

Comment

cheers, I'll try that. It's been wet enough before in there but after a half hour soak in silt water would it be a good idea to take it all out and service it properly? Is it user serviceable? Or should i jet wash it all to get the silt out and then WD40 it all?

Comment

Depends on how much of the engine was under water. Was the air filter / intake hose submerged? if so, water may have been sucked into the turbo or engine.
        But jetwash it all off anyway, with the engine running if poss, then spray the WD40 on anything that looks like it moves, e.g. behind pulleys, cables and throttle linkages.

Comment

Normally its the aircon compresser bearing, or the tensioner for it.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers for that. It all works, just noisy and not sure how to proceed. I'll start with the aircon bits then.

Tony did you get my PM about an order from your shop? Do i need to email instead? Actually if you'll be in tomorrow i'll call you in the morning.

Comment

Bugger it i'll call in the new year.

I emptied a can of WD40, into the engine bay and from there up into my face, should have worn glasses Has helped but it's still dry in one of them, pretty sure it's the alternator but i think i'll leave it for now unless someone suggests otherwise

Comment

Working...
              X