Just bought New Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought New Shocks

Now I have bought new rear shocks, (thanks to BUSHWHACKER'S diagnosis) are there any tips or pitfalls I need to know about fitting them myself. I have'nt changed shocks for 30 years, and I should imagine your readers expertise and considerable experience will be able to guide me
    Thank you.

Originally posted by will.b
    Now I have bought new rear shocks, (thanks to BUSHWHACKER'S diagnosis) are there any tips or pitfalls I need to know about fitting them myself. I have'nt changed shocks for 30 years, and I should imagine your readers expertise and considerable experience will be able to guide me
    Thank you.
    i done my front ones no real issues,,, apart from the nut on the top, i used a nut splitter(draper tool) to remove the top nut
    other than that easy you'll have them done within the hour on the front

Comment

Originally posted by will.b
      Thank you.

Have a read of this thread, might help a bit.
      Most of the thread is waffle though!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ht=rear+shocks

Comment

Did mine a few months ago, and it was a complete first for me.

Simple advice. I ended up needing two jacks, and the obvious pre-requisite axle stands. Plenty of WD40 on all of the bolts that you're going to need to undo, and plenty of time so that you can do it nice and relaxed. Think that it took me about 4 hours.

Oh and watch out that you don't over stretch the brake pipes etc when your taking the old springs off and putting the new ones on.

One last thing - make sure that you don't mix up left and right - Barry at RoughTrax told me about someone who'd done that and they ended up with a very lop sided truck!!
        Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
          Did mine a few months ago, and it was a complete first for me.

Simple advice. I ended up needing two jacks, and the obvious pre-requisite axle stands. Plenty of WD40 on all of the bolts that you're going to need to undo, and plenty of time so that you can do it nice and relaxed. Think that it took me about 4 hours.

Oh and watch out that you don't over stretch the brake pipes etc when your taking the old springs off and putting the new ones on.

One last thing - make sure that you don't mix up left and right - Barry at RoughTrax told me about someone who'd done that and they ended up with a very lop sided truck!!

Rob.
          You really must start reading these threads thoroughly, he's only replacing the SHOCKS!

Comment

Working...
          X