tyres: looks are everything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyres: looks are everything.

sorry to bore you all to death guys, really, i am.but i just need a tad more input before i leave you all to cope with the serious stuff.

situation is this..cosmetically, i think the surf is a design marvel, but, every now and then, i see a wee beasty sporting a surf logo that makes me a little envious.

things have taken a turn, and my first enhancement project has been thrust upon me prematurely, namely, bigger and chunkier tyres..

situation: no body lift, yet..tyres need replacing, like now. 7x15 alloy rims currently shod with shot 265"s i've done the searches, boy have i done them..i wanted kuhmo 31x10.50x15's. in mt format...drawn a blank..bit of a supply problem in the uk..nearest size i could find were 31x11.50x15's..following a brief discussion after wrongly posting in the 3.ltr forum, i've decided, with dave's help, that sourcing replacements in that size may be difficult, so have knocked the notion on the napper.

second choice, bf goodrich mud terrains..the at's look great, but koi has spoken wonders re the mudders.i think they look angrier, and consequently nicer. ok, i'm happy'ish.the consensus here, and i fully respect those opinions, are that the 31x10.50x15 is the largest boot that the arch can cope with without lift, fine..but, having compared my one, yes, one (even longer story) all terrain 31 incher, with a friends equivalent size kuhmo mud terrain, it is evident that his tyres are bigger, noticeably so, no nit-picking with a tape measure neccessary..searching on the threads, there is a suggestion that 31 is a variable, within reason..ie 1 or even 2 inches..

now, the reason for wanting chunkier, is that my only gripe when admiring my rig at a distance, is that those arches do look big, and would certainly benefit filling out a little..i'm quite prepared to get spacers..no probs, i'd also consider a mild lift..but in fairness, those bf's are going to take the shirt off my back, and just before crimbo too..could i squeeze an ever so slightly bigger tyre under that arch, on those rims if i do not venture off-road, much? until i get raised? i suspect the answer will still be no, common sense tells me so..but there does seem like an awfull big hole under that arch..the answers still no, isn't it? ok, so's you don't lose your patience altogether, could anyone tell me is the bf goodrich mud terrain is one of the bigger 31"s?

for your info guys..31x10.50x15 available, mail order 69.00 plus vat in all terrain.

mud terrain, same size, same supplier, 89.00 quid plus vat..

prices sourced this very morning, so as current as can be..not sure how this compares across the country, but the at's looked like a good deal to me?

sure you wanna go for MTs??... they're noisy and less economical with the fuel!

thought about colways?... the C-Trax are the same MT pattern as the BFGs... think the broncos are the same pattern too.

if you want a REALLY beefy looking tyre, look for something like the bronco grizzly claws... but they're like driving on 50p coins!!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If you have a wide bodied version, just take the arch extensions off, they're only held on with self tappers. Also remove the side steps and mudflaps, and you'll get the instant chunkey look and your tyres won't look too small/narrow.

Comment

thanks guys..i've gone for the bf goodrich 31x10:50x15 mud terrains from roughtrax...said to the wife that i was putting grizzly claws on, removing the running boards, mud flaps and wheel arches...she said i had a brain like a computer, then started to punch some information into me...i think as modified i'm ever gonna get my rig is one of those anodized alloy oil filler caps..thanks for trying though..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
          thanks guys..i've gone for the bf goodrich 31x10:50x15 mud terrains from roughtrax...said to the wife that i was putting grizzly claws on, removing the running boards, mud flaps and wheel arches...she said i had a brain like a computer, then started to punch some information into me...i think as modified i'm ever gonna get my rig is one of those anodized alloy oil filler caps..thanks for trying though..
          You could always trade the wifey..... for bigger tyres and a nice lift....
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

yeah, its a point i've contemplated linda, for sure..the missus recons she needs bigger boobs more than i need bigger boots..my suggestion that rubbing toilet paper up and down her cleavage would be an efficient but cheaper option was greeted with a blank expression.."why, would that make my bust bigger"? she asked..to which i replied, "well it worked on your bum ok"

actually, now the 31's are on, i'm quite pleased with them..the ride isn't as noisy as i had feared, the icy roads as yet haven't won any victories and the awfull squealing on the gentlest of bends has now dissapeared, so yeah, i'm chuffed..

Comment

Photos please, you should know the score by now!

Comment

Working...
              X