Smokey Zorst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey Zorst

At long last I've got my Surf going, but it smokes really bad.
    Have I a, miss timed the fuel pump
    b, miss timed the fuel pump
    c, miss timed the fuel pump
    or d, something else?

is ther a way of altering the fuel pump timing without stripping down the front end AGAIN!
    How much!

Originally posted by waveydavey
    At long last I've got my Surf going, but it smokes really bad.
    Have I a, miss timed the fuel pump
    b, miss timed the fuel pump
    c, miss timed the fuel pump
    or d, something else?

is ther a way of altering the fuel pump timing without stripping down the front end AGAIN!

After me and Andy rebuilt mine it smoked for a week and a bit then it stopped, I think Andy had the same after his was put back together..
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hi there
      You can adjust the pump timing by moving the pump round in the slots it has two bolts on the front face and two bolts at the rear of it. then gentley twist it round with a bar. Please remeber to mark the pump in its original place before you move it, because if you are a full tooth out on the belt you will have to strip the front and move it on the pulley then move the pump back to the original place. if it gets better with moving the pump but still not right you know you will have strip it down again.
      If you have black smoke and a loud diesel knock it will be to far advanced or if it is white smoke and quite it will be retarded in the timing and need advanced. If you move the pump against the rotation it will advance the timing and if it needs retarding in the timing you move the pump in the direction the engine runs.
      Hope this helps
      Charlie

Comment

Thanks, will give it a try today
        How much!

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
          After me and Andy rebuilt mine it smoked for a week and a bit then it stopped, I think Andy had the same after his was put back together..
          Yep mine did - it runs nice and clean now. When you change the head you end up knoicking off the carbon build up at the top of the bores and often this will end up with smoky exhaust, also your valves need some time to bed in properly. I can't remember ever having different even on petrol engines. What is more important is does the engine run well. Also if you made sure that the timiing marks were correct (pretty easy to spot if it is wrong) then I wouldn't muck about with the pump timing. I also remeber a diesel engineer once telling me that diesel engines should be noisy - if it makes a dieseling noise at idle (Pinking) then it's running OK, if it is quiet then the timing is too far retarded.

cheers
          Last edited by lucky; 30 November 2003, 14:06.

Comment

Thankyou very much people especially Lucky,

Having now driven my beast some 40kms i find that allthough she is running well, the zorst is still smokey and she will not reach 70mph even with my lead foot on floor also even the slightest incline slows her down.

Yes I agree that it takes time to bed valves and stuff in but i'm driving to Koln on Friday so for peace of mind and i don't feel like doing 500kms tonight bedding her in (ohh err missus) ive dropped her off at my local garage to check the timing for me, should ease her indoors mind too!
            How much!

Comment

Originally posted by waveydavey
              Thankyou very much people especially Lucky,

Having now driven my beast some 40kms i find that allthough she is running well, the zorst is still smokey and she will not reach 70mph even with my lead foot on floor also even the slightest incline slows her down.

Yes I agree that it takes time to bed valves and stuff in but i'm driving to Koln on Friday so for peace of mind and i don't feel like doing 500kms tonight bedding her in (ohh err missus) ive dropped her off at my local garage to check the timing for me, should ease her indoors mind too!
              Definately sounds like something is wrong, On mine even with the smoke it pulled like a train, sounds like the timing is too far retarded thus cuasing incomplete burn of the fuel as it is being injected too late, alternatively you may have an air leak somewhere or one other thing - is the turbo cutting in, if not you may have one of the vacuum pipes not correctly connected. All of these could cause poor running and consequently the smoke as well as the timing being out.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X