tyres-odd size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyres-odd size.

stumped for a proper title on this one..ok, running my surf on 265/70's all terrain, and, got a puncture, front off-side..jacked her up, grabbed the spare, knackered..completely out of round, but it was inflated at least, so stuck it on anyway.

ring around the local tyre fitters, and find one that will look at the punctured specimen..he duly declares it unrepairable..oh no, i explain the 5 minute journey on the oval replacement was now't short of white knuckle, so, after a little searching he comes out with a used 31/10:50/15 "this will do you for the weekend mate" was the cheery exlaimation.."erm, its a different size, won't it damage the car"? i wimper.."no mate, not on the front, not in the short term anyway, you wont be using it in 4 wheel drive will you"? "no" i replied, with assurance.

the tyre is fitted, and doesn't look that different, which in a way is a little dissapointing, because i was hoping the 4 khumo mud terrains i've ordered for monday would raise my rig to its asthetic advantage.

question, would i be wise to keep my journeys to a minimum whilst i'm running an odd size, or will it be of little consequence? any help appreciated, need to ring my boss, to let him know if the 20 mile journey to work on monday is adviseable..cheers.

Originally posted by mickey
    stumped for a proper title on this one..ok, running my surf on 265/70's all terrain, and, got a puncture, front off-side..jacked her up, grabbed the spare, knackered..completely out of round, but it was inflated at least, so stuck it on anyway.

ring around the local tyre fitters, and find one that will look at the punctured specimen..he duly declares it unrepairable..oh no, i explain the 5 minute journey on the oval replacement was now't short of white knuckle, so, after a little searching he comes out with a used 31/10:50/15 "this will do you for the weekend mate" was the cheery exlaimation.."erm, its a different size, won't it damage the car"? i wimper.."no mate, not on the front, not in the short term anyway, you wont be using it in 4 wheel drive will you"? "no" i replied, with assurance.

the tyre is fitted, and doesn't look that different, which in a way is a little dissapointing, because i was hoping the 4 khumo mud terrains i've ordered for monday would raise my rig to its asthetic advantage.

question, would i be wise to keep my journeys to a minimum whilst i'm running an odd size, or will it be of little consequence? any help appreciated, need to ring my boss, to let him know if the 20 mile journey to work on monday is adviseable..cheers.

Should be fine for that one of journey...I have run 1 standard and 3x 31/10/5 on my vehicle...just remember not to go speeding or trying to do anything off-road...there is a slight difference and I maybe wrong but could end up in the long run creating issues with bearings etc.
    Gaz

Comment

sounds like you might have found a fitters not staffed by the muppets normally found today
      He's right, it'll be fine for over the weekend. As he correctly pointed out, once on the front, and 4wd is not used, it will be OK for the short period of time it will be on, just don't go haring around and you'll be fine.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

thanks fellas, much appreciated..bit of a relief really, as the fitter has been having problems with taking stock of the khumo's before midweek..i've been quoted 79:00 quid a piece, including fitting and balancing, which sounded reasonable..

not wishing to take advantage, but would anyone be kind enough to explain the use of "spacers"..and can they be fitted as a diy job?

just heard them mentioned, but didn't really grasp the concept..

again, thanks for the input, boss will be delighted.

Comment

thanks fellas, much appreciated..bit of a relief really, as the fitter has been having problems with taking stock of the khumo's before midweek..i've been quoted 79:00 quid a piece, including fitting and balancing, which sounded reasonable..

not wishing to take advantage, but would anyone be kind enough to explain the use of "spacers"..and can they be fitted as a diy job?

just heard them mentioned, but didn't really grasp the concept..

again, thanks for the input, boss will be delighted.
          Spacers do just what the name implies, space your wheels out further. They fit between the hub and the wheel. Narrow (up to around 6mm) ones are like large washers, they fit over the wheel studs before the wheel is fitted. Thicker ones (around 32mm and up) bolt directly to the hub and the wheel then bolts directly to the spacer.

These will widen the track of the vehicle and with larger ones will give it a more aggressive stance. Usually fitted for clearance reasons, eg to assist in the fitting of non standard wheels/tyres, they are sometimes just fitted for the wider stance and appearance.

If you can change a wheel, you can fit spacers, so definitely a diy job.
          If you are thinking of getting some, be sure to check out the trackstore deal for the forum (have a search) as many have been disappointed with other makes, especially some of those found on ebay.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

done the search, got the lowdown. seems like steel is favoured over alloy, so i'll go with the general consensus on that one..80 quid seems reasonable for something that increases an already high kerb appeal. i know little regarding practicalities, but i'm all for show..of course, the wife will understand, after all, the surf being wider, will make her bum look smaller..thanks morr, i appreciate the time you took to explain it to me.

Comment

http://www.bronco4x4.com/index.html

Bronco 4x4 is where I get my tyres from, they do retreads in AT and MT patterns at good prices (£43)

As a side note..... 31/10.50 is the cross ply equivalent of the 265/70, they are so close in size you'd be hard pressed to find a difference.
              Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Or here.....http://www.sowdentyres.co.uk/
                I got mine from here last year, 31/10.5/r15 mud terrains £179. delivered, plus £10 fitting at the tyre 'monkeys' down the road from me.

Comment

I got Marshal Muds at £210 for the set of 4 and they are not remolds. They got me everywhere I wanted to go at Brick Kiln Farm Today.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosinDevon
                    As a side note..... 31/10.50 is the cross ply equivalent of the 265/70, they are so close in size you'd be hard pressed to find a difference.
                    not cross ply, just an imperial measurement rather than metric
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

hmmm, it would appear i've acted a little hastilly..thanks to the links provided by chaos and bushwhacker, i've been trawling through an amazing assortment of angry looking remoulds..each with their own appeal. i've yet to search kitesurf's marshals..arggg, the agony of choice, i hadn't even considered the mail order option, i couldn't imagine 31 inchers going through the letterbox. suddenly 79 quid doesn't seem so reasonable anymore though..as always, thanks for the input guys, i'm off to do some thinking.

Comment

Just one question- why have you only ordered four new MT tyres? When/if one of these goes a tater you'll be in nearly the same position. If doing something radicaly different like moving up a tyre size or changing over to mud terrain tread pattern it's a good idea to have the full set of five. With mud terrains it's a good plan to rotate the tyres around the car in case of uneven wear. I'm moving mine around the car each oil change (every 5000km). The last MT tyres I had were directional but my current General Grabbers aren't so they can go on either side.

Also if your planning on doing much off roading then a full set of 5 MT's is a must or you'll get stuck if you have replace one whilst offroad.

Comment

its a fair point lazer, i see where you are coming from..actually though, i'm not likely to be doing much off-roading mate..i feel myself going red even writing this, but i just like the look..you see, i'm not much good at fighting, too fat..hoping an angry looking rig would compensate..

regarding the fifth tyre, yes, i did consider that option. but, as the fitter said, even though the one he supplied on saturday was an "all-terrain" as opposed to a full mudder, it was in fact a 31x10:50x15, so, in the event of another puncture, at least it would be a compatible size, and in good shape..

my thinking may be flawed, it usually is, but cosmetic appeal apart, i was hoping punctures might be less of a likelyhood with a chunky tyre? my all-terrain was evidently holed through an angular bit of gravel becoming trapped in the thread, then piercing through the rubber through the weight of the vehicle.

actually, thinking about it, i see you are talking a lot of sense, i'll order 5 up..i'll stick the all-terrain one in the shed...i've been looking at those general grabbers too..

thanks for your advice re rotating the wheels, its something i have taken on board..
                          Last edited by mickey; 6 November 2005, 19:37.

Comment

thanks for your advice re rotating the wheels, its something i have taken on board..
                            Did I mention that having 5 identical tyres makes rotating easier too- you don't have to have two tyres off the car at the same time....thats probably why most people don't bother these days.

Comment

Working...
                            X