Help.....petrol In The Diesel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help.....petrol In The Diesel Tank

need some help, while i was at work today my girlfriend accidently put 5 litres of unleaded in the tank thinking it was diesel !!!!, the tank was nearly empty, what should i do? does it need taking out (draining) or shall i fill it up with diesel and hope it will be ok? any help would be appreciated, thanks

Probably would be ok to fill with diesel and carry on but if at all possible I would syphon it out to prevent damage to your pump. Anyone else? BTW I have put 5 litres into my 1/4 full tank to get emissions down and lived to tell the tale (even though the emissions failed)

Comment

A bit of petrol in your tank is no bad thing.

I made the same error a few years ago and rang a mechanic mate of mine, he explained that it would only serve to clean out some of the carbon build up you may have in the cylinder heads.

Just don't make a habit of it!

Fill the tank up and you shouldn't notice a thing.

Comment

Might be best not to drive it too far until you've filled the tank to dilute the petrol with diesel. In cold weather it's normal apparently to put a bit of petrol in to help the diesel to stop waxing, so you should not get any ill effects unless you fill it completely with unleaded. Don't do it the other way round though as diesel in a petrol tank is a no no!
        Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by jonb76
          need some help, while i was at work today my girlfriend accidently put 5 litres of unleaded in the tank thinking it was diesel !!!!, the tank was nearly empty, what should i do? does it need taking out (draining) or shall i fill it up with diesel and hope it will be ok? any help would be appreciated, thanks
          Hi,
          Just read this as I couldnt "find this site" for the few minutes each day that I make an attempt. anyhow, last year when I was running my own motor repairshop I had a spate of customers who had made the mistake of wrong fuel....It seems to happen gas (unleaded) into diesels mostly, due to the size of the nozzle ? well anyhow, I can report that one of them had put FIFTEEN litres into the diesel tank and driven over 180 miles before they called me in...needless to say there was no problem if you fill the remaining capacity asap with diesel or your favourite oil brew for all the veggie brigade...

Peter (dont worry, life's too short)

Comment

dont worrie petrol in a diesel is ok it cleans all the **** out of the engine just fill the tank with diesel to thin the petrol and all should be ok just dont put diesel in a petrol lol you may need a fuel filter change before the next fill up thats all
            I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
              I can report that one of them had put FIFTEEN litres into the diesel tank and driven over 180 miles before they called me in
              probably hadnt bothered to turn their MP3 down either to hear whether the engine had changed volume

Comment

sory to steal thread.

just noticed you are from the west of scotland uplander. where abouts?

i've saw a third gen like your around the larkhall\ hamilton area.

chers scoty

Comment

I used to put 5L of petrol in my Pug 306 Diesel a tankful (60L) before MOT time. Emmissions were always spot-on
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                    sory to steal thread.

just noticed you are from the west of scotland uplander. where abouts?

i've saw a third gen like your around the larkhall\ hamilton area.

chers scoty
                    Hi,
                    Could be ours from las Friday on... We just back from six months repairin boats and rock climbin in far north west(sutherland) IV27, now in north ayrshire...and once a week falkirk an fife...

Cheers

Peter....keep on movin...

Comment

came across any good places to go off road in your neck of the woods.

there is very little in lanarkshire that i have came across.

cheers scotty

Comment

cheers scotty
                        Drumclogs not too far from you. all the dirt, water and hills you can eat.
                        mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

been to drumclog once last december with http://www.scotwest.org.uk/

its a great place, done some scary things that i didnt think possible.

how about you greebo, do you get off road much?
                          Attached Files

Comment

cheers scotty
                            yes, a vast amount of very boggy and remote "all comers land" in north west highlands , but you can become stuck after heavy rains, so full self-recovery kit minimum is a hand winch ground anchors kinetic rope improved chassis hooks such as jate fasteners / rings....
                            in north ayrshire used to know owners of an off road centre near burnhouse -fairly modest but good to try new vehicles, and a gravel quarry which is very treacherous to the unwary -very sudden deep water- and rough on the bodywork if you mis-cue...sadly i have yet to meet up with these men this year..

peter..

Comment

been to drumclog once last december with http://www.scotwest.org.uk/

its a great place, done some scary things that i didnt think possible.

how about you greebo, do you get off road much?
                              as often as i possably can.
                              at least twice a month as my poor battered car will attest.
                              mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X