shaking truck syndrome!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaking truck syndrome!!

I have just had my rear shocks replaced, and had the front tyres replaced at the same time (one brand new, the other was the spare but also never used). Handles like it did when i bought it.

A few days later, I get on a fast stretch of road and as i reach 60mph the whole truck begins to shake side to side quite noticably. I couldn't get much faster due to the traffic, but it felt as if it was easing as i neared 70mph.

I have never felt this before, usually if its a wheel balance thing, then you feel it more through the steering, but this was not like that.

The garage are going to check the wheel balance again tomorrow, but can anyone suggest other things that might need checking?

thanks
    adam
    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Check the previously unused spare. Even if never used they have a limited life span.

Neville

Comment

Yup, especially if the spare has been hanging on the back door in the sun for a long while, they can deteriorate.

Comment

I'll get them to check it out - mine lives underneath the truck so i won't be sunburn!!
        adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

The rubber properties can still break down through lack of "exercise"

Comment

yeah, the rubber goes bad on the underslug especially... cos it never gets cleaned and is covered in dirt and c rap...

may be better if the re-mount it and balance...
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

well it's back in the garage - they're gonna re-balance all the wheels and take it from there.
              adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad
                well it's back in the garage - they're gonna re-balance all the wheels and take it from there.
                Yup, jus saw this....it was the spare.... Mine was "pulled off and into service a while ago", turned out the lead had fallen off the back of the truck...so jeez, well outa balance...musta been on the back during the trip from the rising sun, and saw some heavy weather at sea

Comment

it was the spare also - although it seems that someone before i bought the truck replaced the tyre but left the old weights in place, and obviously it was WAY out (80 on one side, 70 on the other). Mechanic was very surprised that anyone could do that to a tyre!!
                  adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Working...
                  X