dim spare wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dim spare wheel question

Truck is a 2WD 1995 Hilux pickup. I've had it a year and always had the spare wheel in the back as the crane that holds it underneath was a solid piece of rust. I picked up a new one witha couple of other bits from a breakers' yard but I can't seem to get the wheel onto it. It looks like the plate on the end of the chain should be passed through the wheel and locates on the other side, then you wind it up off the road into place, but the plate is too big to go through the centre hole. Am I missing something? Perhaps it's off a 4WD and the hub hole is bigger? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot guys/guyesses

Originally posted by johnnyrod
    Truck is a 2WD 1995 Hilux pickup. I've had it a year and always had the spare wheel in the back as the crane that holds it underneath was a solid piece of rust. I picked up a new one witha couple of other bits from a breakers' yard but I can't seem to get the wheel onto it. It looks like the plate on the end of the chain should be passed through the wheel and locates on the other side, then you wind it up off the road into place, but the plate is too big to go through the centre hole. Am I missing something? Perhaps it's off a 4WD and the hub hole is bigger? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot guys/guyesses
    are they standard wheels and tyres or aftermarket ones.if there aftermarket they may be a diffrent size from the standard ones hence they dont fit the carrier
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Bog standard as far as I am aware, they're certainly nothing special, and all 5 match.

Comment

yeah, the plate goes throught the hole (you have tipped it on end longways?)... then hooks the wheel and lifts it... think mine had some bent ends that locate in the stud holes and hold it secure.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Prepare to plumb new depths of my stupidity... look at these:

http://www.johnnyrod.co.uk/truck1.jpg

http://www.johnnyrod.co.uk/truck2.jpg

The thing seems too fat to fit in the hole. The spring is like a suspension spring so I haven't managed to compress it enough to get it through, despite trying for ages the other day. To be honest I'm not even sure this is the right thiing to do. I also presume the wheel should eventually hang open-side up so it's possible to access the valve, and so the chain etc. is held by the open side.

Any suggestions? Ta!

Comment

Thats either the wrong wheel, or the carrier is wrong. Can you show a pic of the wheels on the truck?

Comment

it must be the wrong wheel, cos its 5 stud.....
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Thats what I though but the truck is 2wd. I'm not sure if they're 5 or 6 stud.

Comment

yeah, the 2wd pickup only has little wheels so it aint gonna fit...
                  you could probably make one to fit the chain.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cut off the spring part flush with the metal plate and get a large bolt with a nyloc nut just big enough to go through the last link of the chain to stop the chain pulling through the plate.
                    Job done.

Comment

Must be the wheel. The drop down watchamacallit looks same as mine and I just tip it up and it goes straight in........

Comment

Different size wheels Dave, it's a 2WD pick-up.

Comment

bugger.....after climbing under the truck in the beeping rain and wacking me head on the fog that I havent shifted into the bumper me pic wont upload......

Comment

Checked out the spare last night, it matches the other four wheels. I picked up the carrier secondhand, didn't know there were different ones. Think I'll have to mod it as per Bushwhacker's ideas. Doh! Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X