gearbox problems 2.4 manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox problems 2.4 manual

i have a 1991 2.4 manual and it keeps dropping out of gear when i pull away in first gear any suggestions or is time for a new gearbox ???

1st of all its common, 2nd the gearbox should be fine. The problem for me went away when I fitted a new bushing to the bottom of the gearstick shaft. The bushing cost a few quid only and the new one looked much like the old one but it worked. Hope it works for you. Search for a part number, I'm sure its been posted somewhere.

Comment

mine jumps on change to 3rd and 4th gears, have to be real slow and deliberate changing gear please post the outcome.

Comment

Maybe matthew wants to come back now and say whether he asked for the hell of it or whether he did something about it and ifso what happened??????

I dont know much about gearboxs but I do know synchros fail and this leads to either binding or hopping out. Also though there are many ball bearing and spring combinations which act on the selector shafts helping to lock gears into place. Failure of these springs or ball bearings could in my 'i've dismantled a gearbox and now cant put it back together' limited knowledge lead to the jumping out people describe. I would love a gearbox expert to say I'm full of $hite if I am. The spring/ball bearing setups are easily accessed around the gearbox thru various allenkey type boltplugs.

Comment

sorry i didnt comeback

Originally posted by JimL
          Maybe matthew wants to come back now and say whether he asked for the hell of it or whether he did something about it and ifso what happened??????

I dont know much about gearboxs but I do know synchros fail and this leads to either binding or hopping out. Also though there are many ball bearing and spring combinations which act on the selector shafts helping to lock gears into place. Failure of these springs or ball bearings could in my 'i've dismantled a gearbox and now cant put it back together' limited knowledge lead to the jumping out people describe. I would love a gearbox expert to say I'm full of $hite if I am. The spring/ball bearing setups are easily accessed around the gearbox thru various allenkey type boltplugs.
          was just the little bush thing a couple of quid from toyota and has worked perfectly since many thanks for the info i remain impressed by this site

Comment

Originally posted by matthew coventry
            was just the little bush thing a couple of quid from toyota and has worked perfectly since many thanks for the info i remain impressed by this site
            Result!

Thats great to hear!

Comment

Working...
            X