Series 3 Spare Wheel Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 Spare Wheel Carrier

I'm having problems with the carrier. The mounting pins seem to have too much play and it rattles like mad over bumps. Can't see how to remove the swivel pins. Is it a servicable item? If not any ideas would be appreciated.

Are you sure it's the pins?? It's usually the rubber bush on the locking pin / striker arm, that wears and causes the rattle. (the bit that connects into the hole when you close it).
    I fixed mine by cutting out some rubber shims and putting them behind to pack it out. You can probably buy the rubber bush thing from Toyota for pennies though.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
      Are you sure it's the pins?? It's usually the rubber bush on the locking pin / striker arm, that wears and causes the rattle. (the bit that connects into the hole when you close it).
      I fixed mine by cutting out some rubber shims and putting them behind to pack it out. You can probably buy the rubber bush thing from Toyota for pennies though.

Andy
      Could well be the bushes in the hinges, I've had this problem since purchase on the top hinge, and I recall someone else recently having this problem. With mine you can only really feel the play if you open the tailgate and swing the carrier to its closed position, then its quite noticeable.

Unfortunately it appears to be a sealed for life assembly. Would not be a simple home job as it requires the original pin to be drilled out, then either a bush made up or the existing one reamed oversize and a replacement bolt fitted.

I've taken to carrying my spare strapped in the boot (can't stand the rattles it causes) until I can find time to tackle the carrier.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I tried that!

Originally posted by Andy W

Andy
        I cut a strip out of my son's bike tyre and tried to put it over the nose of the pin but it was to thick so I used a strip from a plastic milk bottle. I also tried reversing the bush. All to no avail. I took the spare wheel off this morning and I could feel play on the hanging brackets. Without the wheel it stops!

Comment

A Major Job

Originally posted by Morr
          Could well be the bushes in the hinges, I've had this problem since purchase on the top hinge, and I recall someone else recently having this problem. With mine you can only really feel the play if you open the tailgate and swing the carrier to its closed position, then its quite noticeable.

Unfortunately it appears to be a sealed for life assembly. Would not be a simple home job as it requires the original pin to be drilled out, then either a bush made up or the existing one reamed oversize and a replacement bolt fitted.

I've taken to carrying my spare strapped in the boot (can't stand the rattles it causes) until I can find time to tackle the carrier.
          To drill out the pins (which I assume would be hardened) would be a big job. After that, whatever you do would have to be a precision fit as the weight of the wheel would show up any play!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxophilus
            To drill out the pins (which I assume would be hardened) would be a big job. After that, whatever you do would have to be a precision fit as the weight of the wheel would show up any play!!!!!
            I know, I may manage to cheat and smuggle it into the machine shop in my job, let the experts do it! Otherwise I'll have to do it myself, only problem there is finding the time, and the tools, and the new parts .... but it can be done
            Maurice

Comment

The swivel bushes/hinge pins need to be lubricated with grease to stop wear leading to excess play.
              Swing the wheel carrier to the open position and look carefully on the swivel bushes - each one has a very small greasing point, much too small for a grease gun or a nipple.
              What you need is the grease gun used to lubricate a chain saw bar sprocket, available from a chain saw service centre for around £5. With this you can pump grease into the bush until it oozes out at top and bottom.
              Might even take up some of the play on a worn bush!
              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf
                The swivel bushes/hinge pins need to be lubricated with grease to stop wear leading to excess play.
                Swing the wheel carrier to the open position and look carefully on the swivel bushes - each one has a very small greasing point, much too small for a grease gun or a nipple.
                What you need is the grease gun used to lubricate a chain saw bar sprocket, available from a chain saw service centre for around £5. With this you can pump grease into the bush until it oozes out at top and bottom.
                Not enough to take up the play on mine unfortunatly, tried it before, last about a week before it was all exuded out and knocking again, but as you say certainly worth a try.
                Maurice

Comment

I think your right

Originally posted by Morr
                  Not enough to take up the play on mine unfortunatly, tried it before, last about a week before it was all exuded out and knocking again, but as you say certainly worth a try.
                  Seems to be a common problem, not a very good design. Probably be worth mounting some sort of space saver spare wheel to reduce the weight if you can ever fix the bushes?

Comment

Any idea where I can get an under mounting bracket?

Would have to be reasonably easy ti fit?

Comment

Thanks for the Tip

Originally posted by s2-wolf
                      Fortunatley I used to be in the forestry business so had the right grease gun to hand. It seems to work so far but I will get some really thick grease for when it comes back and try that!

Comment

Working...
                      X